Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Plumbing in slab housing
    How does plumbong work if house is on a slab?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
    The drain lies are installed in trenches and filled in before the slab is poured. Water supply lines run overhead and down the walls behind the fixtures. This is done right after framing and prior to insulation or wall covering of course. All the necessary pressure testing is done before covering any pipes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:38 PM
    OR the supply lines are also run in trenches and come up through the slab at each fixture site. This method is used most frequently in colder climates to avoid freezing in walls.

Jun 28, 2008, 06:47 PM
    That is true. Years ago before houses were required to be fully insulated, this was done. Today in most areas, underground supply lines are extremely rare. Modern insulation keeps pipes from freezing and metal supply lines do not corrode as they do when buried. I have seen it done both ways. In commercial buildings, supply lines are almost always run in the ground under the slabs, because of the nature of the structures. Most recently plastic lines with distribution valves have become common in the housing sector. I have never seen these lines used below grade, but I suppose they could be.

Tried to give ball a thumbs up, but they said I was frequenting too much praise.

Jun 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
    I think it is a regional thing, I'm in the midwest and we never see pipes in the attic because they can sweat and ruin the drywall. And, you loss a lot of energy running hot water into an attic space. I think maybe you work in a more moderate climate.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Jimmy, here is what ABS under-slab rough-in looks like. You are looking at portion of guest bathroom underground plumbing. In front of you is toilet with clean out extending through forms. On the left is tub. Sink on the right. ( The other pipe left of sink drain is a vent from the toilet ).

This is a 12" slab. ABS pipes are wrapped with plastic wrap. This wrap creates separation between the pipe and concrete.

Process of building a house goes very fast. There is no time for thinking or mistakes. As you can see from the picture, forming on this 6,000 sq.feet spec house have just about began - and we already started on installation of underground drain system. Couple of hours after this pic was taken - rebar people began with their installation. Trust me, rebar guys are the last guys on the job site you wanna slow down ... !

Plumber has to measure his distances correctly because once you pour your slab - than there is very little you can do to move your drains. If you screw up, than this may be your last job under this contractor.

Toilets have to be set exactly to prevent "NatalieBlueEyes" effect. ( that is : undesirable gap between wall and tank ). Additionally, shower drains have to be centered too. Every other plumbing fixtures has some built-in slack that can be corrected later on with above-slab installation.

By Plumbing Code in my region, we have to run our water supplies in walls and ceilings. We install 1/2" jacket insulation on hot and cold pipes. Only exeption is water supply to kitchen island. Gas system is also installed in the attic.

Hope this will answer your question...
    Attached Images

Jun 29, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Generally, here in the west, they can the shower and tub drains. When they set the trap, the hole is filled with sand covered with quick-crete. The framer generally checks the toilet bin when he lays out the bath wall. That's why everything fits so well. Or at least as well as it does.

I say thanks to milo, a picture says a lot more than any of us can.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2008, 05:13 AM
    By Plumbing Code in my region, we have to run our water supplies in walls and ceilings.(Milo) Water supply lines run overhead and down the walls behind the fixtures (bandit)
    In the Tampa Bay Area all our buildings are on slabs. The only time we run our water in the attic is if we are on a remodel. Our new work is installed under the slab using type "L" seamless soft copper brought up above ground in a wall to a manifold and then back down out in branches. Or at least that's how we did it when I was out in the field. The reason being that if there was a leak under the slab then it wouldn't rain down on your furnishings like it wouldf if it were piped overhead. Just goes to show you! Different area, different codes, different methods. Regards, Tom

Jun 29, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Tom's description matches my #3, hot Tampa or cold Chicago we usually do our rough ins under the slab.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing and Slab [ 1 Answers ]

We are thinking of moving our laundry room and installing a 1/2 bath to a portion of our home that is on a slab. The location will be on an outside wall of the house. How difficult will this be? How expensive will this be? Is it easier to install the plumbing for a washer in this situation...

Plumbing under slab [ 8 Answers ]

I am putting in an earth contact home. I have picked out all the sinks, toilets, tubs, showers, etc. I am confident with the measurements, because I made the floor plans. But I am concerned about problems in the future. Should I put every thing in a sleeve so it can be easily pulled out later...

Plumbing on slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a toilet, shower and vanity on concrete floor. I have water but want to know the best way to proceed. Drill holes in concrete or build up the floor. This a steel building. This near the edge so I could dig under the slab. I have an rv dump or sewer next to my building and...

Plumbing under slab [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on moving my kitchen sink to an Island. I have a slab foundation. How much will this cost? How difficult is it?

View more questions Search