Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moosefraba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Sued For rent with out lease agreement
    I moved into my girlfriends parents home after they offered me a place to stay for $200/mnth. Since then I have paid my rent and everything was still a bit hairy while I was there. I recently got into a spot of trouble when I got behind on some bills so we had an agreement for me to pay just the other day. Now I moved out recently and have been homeless and recently lost my vehicle as well. I owe 440 yet they are attempting to sue me for 4450 for moving out without notice and all kinds of other things. Now the reason the 440 did not get paid is because they came and hunted me down approximatley an hour before I had a chance to take the rent to them. Cops were involved and more. What do I do from here?

Owed rent is 440

They are sueing for 4000 on top of that for unknown charges

There was no lease only a verbal agreement

And from what the daughter told me I was going to be kicked out soon anyway

Do they really have a case in PA for an extra 4000 dollars?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
    If you didn't have a written lease then you were a month-to-month tenant. The most rent you could be responsible for was the back rent plus one month. If they could prove that you caused damage to their property then you would be responsible for that too.
    moosefraba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I figured as much but she went to a district attorney or judge and is trying to say that ill owe them for the attorneys fees, the rent, plus extra money for no notice of moving. And on top of all this she is trying to say I stole my own belongings. Now they have no clue about what belongings I have but I can give exact details. And they still have some of my things like a $800 custom built computer, a handmade cabinet, all of my paintball gear and wheels and tires from my vehicle. How do I go about getting these things back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Well from the district attorney has nothing to do with civil law, only criminal and a judge does not give out legal advice unless it is just a friend, and then that judge could not hear the case if you get them.

So you appear and defend yourself, if you don't show up they normaly win by default.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefraba
    I figured as much but she went to a district attorney or judge and is trying to say that ill owe them for the attorneys fees, the rent, plus extra money for no notice of moving. and on top of all this she is trying to say i stole my own belongings. now they have no clue about what belongings i have but i can give exact details. and they still have some of my things like a $800 custom built computer, a handmade cabinet, all of my paintball gear and wheels and tires from my vehicle. how do I go about getting these things back?

You take them to Small Claims Court for the return of your belongings - or their value.

Sounds like - if the Police have already been involved - they are not going to get any further involved and you are confusing criminal (theft/damage) and civil (rent) matters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for rent not on lease [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my friend's apartment in September 2006 in place of her roommate who was moving out. My name was never on the lease. I paid the previous roommate her half of the security back under the conditions that when myself and the present roommate moved out I would get my security back. It was...

Commercial lease - being sued for old rent [ 9 Answers ]

I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated. Several months after closing we...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

View more questions Search