Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommamia420 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Cat Killing?
    Is it a legal in the state of Calif to kill a male cat if he is not nuetured?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
    I don't know of any state where it is legal to kill pets --other than the humane society that is.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 04:50 PM
    It is not legal to just "kill" a pet. Was the animal taken by animal control or some other government agency
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 05:10 PM
    If you can get a license and there is a open hunting season on them. I know where I live they are considered wild animals or that is at least what my local health department has said.

If you hunt with out license that is considered poaching, big trouble if you get caught.
    Call your local game wardner they will tell you if, when and what is required to do this legally.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamia420

Need more info - who killed the cat? I don't think it's a neutered vs un-neutered issue.

Didn't somebody in California shoot cats - or a cat - because they/it were stalking birds and end up in jail?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Hello momma:

No, you can only kill neutered cats... I'm kidding, of course. I really don't understand your question.

Do you mean will the people in the pound who euthanize animals go to jail? Do you have a cat that you want to kill? If his ability to reproduce is the problem, why don't you neuter him instead of doing him in? Do you want to do the killing yourself? Are you a cat hater?

Please, I want to know. The way you phrased your question lead me to ask my own.

excon
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Of course where I used to live in TN there was a man who basically killed any cat that entered his property, well he was equal opportunity he killed any dog that entered his property also.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
    OP, your question is a bit vague. More info would help us give you a better answer.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I trapped a cat with a trap provided by our local animal control. Unfortunately, the cat died in the trap. The officer who came to dispose of the cat gave me a real hard time. At one point I was afraid I was going to be cited. Best advice, if you kill a cat, dispose of the carcass in a doubled trash bag in someone else's trash can. Animal cruelty advocates abound everywhere. It is very likely a huge fine or jail time to kill any companion animal, especially in California.

The option would be to place the cat in a cage without any collar, call the pound and tell the officer that you captured the feral animal.

Good luck
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Of course where I used to live in TN there was a man who basicly killed any cat that entered his property, well he was equal opportunity he killed any dog that entered his property also.

Is there any more to this or was that the end of it?

I have a neighbor who traps squirrels and then kills them with a shovel and I think SHE'S crazy -

Something about people who kill animals. Isn't that how something like 80% of serial killers get their start, taking out their aggression on animals? Next time I'm in correspondence with a serial killer I'll be sure to ask.
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Nope that was it, in that part of the area, it was sort of OK, I had someone kill my dog in my yard, and I could not even get a police report done. ( they shot it with a 22 rifle) ** that was after they tried to poison the dog twice. All I got from the deputy was, it was just a dog.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
    There are both sides. I raised rabbits commercially all through high school. I butchered a few and sold most to a packing house. Today, I imagine I would be accused of many things, especially violating the "rights" of the rabbits. Actual cruelty is different. As you posted, serial killers all seem to start by being mean. Or maybe they just have a loose wire and cruelty is a symptom ? Any animal can become a pest or nuisance that must be dealt with. It is ridiculous.

My brother in law lives on a golf course that is overrun by jackrabbits. They eat the wiring of people's cars, destroy gardens, etc. and the animals are protected by the city. Go figure ?
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    There are both sides. I raised rabbits commercially all through high school. I butchered a few and sold most to a packing house. Today, I imagine I would be accused of many things, especially violating the "rights" of the rabbits. Actual cruelty is different. As you posted, serial killers all seem to start by being mean. Or maybe they just have a loose wire and cruelty is a symptom ? Any animal can become a pest or nuisance that must be dealt with. It is ridiculous.

My brother in law lives on a golf course that is overrun by jackrabbits. They eat the wiring of people's cars, destroy gardens, etc. and the animals are protected by the city. Go figure ?

I think you are adding apples and oranges when you begin to equate trapping and killing pets or trapping them, removing their collars and pretending they are feral strays with raising and butchering animals for food.
    mommamia420 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2008, 04:48 PM
    My girlfriend has an absolutely beautiful and rare 'bobcat' hybrid. He is not nuetured, he is 9 months, or licenced (yet) and since they just moved to Tuoloume County he wondered off the other day, down the street, and her neighbor had caught it and caged it and told her that he 'could've' just killed it?? That is the story. Of coarse, she dearly loves her cat 'Draven' and won't let him out of the house without being on a leash. She also lives on 5 acres, but the house is near the road... an old wagon trail!

Thanks for your insight :)
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
    My girlfriend has an absolutely beautiful and rare 'bobcat' hybrid. He is not nuetured, he is 9 mths, or licenced (yet) and since they just moved to Tuoloume County he wondered off the other day, down the street, and her neighbor had caught it and caged it and told her that he 'could've' just killed it???? That is the story. Of coarse, she dearly loves her cat 'Draven' and wont let him out of the house without being on a leash. She also lives on 5 acres, but the house is near the road...an old wagon trail!

Thanks for your insight :)

I think if there's - what is the legal term? Oh, I remember, nut job - someone in the neighborhood in might harm the animals you have to keep it confined.

I keep my dogs behind a fence both to protect the neighbors and to protect the dogs.

Well, at least the neighbor said "could have" instead of "did."
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Here's a simple fact of life: If you live in the country (which having a 5 acre lot sounds like), you will get to deal with a lot of dumped animals. And many people who have had lots of animals dumped near their houses will just kill and bury any stray. So your neighbor may have just been passing along some advice.

Second... are bobcat hybrids legal in your area? If not, and if there are farmers with livestock around, you may very well wind up with a dead cat if it's not kept confined.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Sadly, where I was raised a lot of people would shoot him just to add another breed to their list of kills. Many hunters consider them to to be a real nusiance, because they can kill a lot of small game.

Consider yourself warned you may not get that chance again.
    Whether it would be legal or not would not matter if your beloved pet were to die at the hands of an overly zealous hunter.
    sheahasu Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
    I was intrigued by this post, so I tried doing some research. I couldn't find anything definitive on capturing cats on your property, although CA seems to have a strong leaning toward preventing "disposal" of cats, whether owned or stray or feral, so I'm guessing there's probably a law against killing them if you catch them.

I did find this that might be a good idea for the cat owner to pass on the mean neighbor:
    "More recently, the court in People v. Sadowski 202 Cal. App. 3d 332 (Ca. 1984) affirmed a conviction of grand theft for the taking of a cat without the owner's permission. The courts have also held that an owner or “possessor” of a cat can claim for mental damages for harm done to their cat. In Peloquin v. Calcasieu Parish Police Jury 367 S.2d 1246 (La. Ct. App. 1979) the possessors were allowed to sue for mental injuries sustained when their cat was destroyed at an animal center. Punitive damages have been awarded in some states when defendants have intentionally or maliciously killed a cat. In particular see Wilson v. City of Eagan 297 N.W.2d 146 (Mn. 1980)."

Regarding violence to animals and its relationship to abuse:

"Fortunately for us, even if people and legislators are not so much interested in protecting the animals, there have been scientific studies that prove the link between animal abuse, spousal and child abuse, murder and other violent crimes, and even serial killers. According to the book Sexual Homicide Patterns and Motives by Robert Ressler, Ann Burgess and John Douglas, of the convicted sexual murderers that were a part of their study 26% abused animals as children, 46% abused animals as adolescents, and 36% continued to abuse animals as adults."

Based on that, it might be something else the owner could share with the neighbor, then ask, ever so sweetly, "You're not by any chance on the sex offender list are you?"

In the meantime, until the cat can be licensed, I would make sure its tagged, and better still, chipped. Tags can always be removed and destroyed so that someone could claim "it had no ID.", but a chip would be a permanent ID even if a tag does truly get lost and a NICE person found the cat.
    lishh1298 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
    You could go to jail for kicking any animal! Killing one for shure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Helppp.its killing me [ 7 Answers ]

Am feeling so sad because of what I did--once my parents scolded me very badly so to hurt them back I started pretending that I have gone mad,I started dancing and talking to myself.They thought that I have gone mad in real and they took me to a doctor for that as I wanted them to think that I...

This is killing me! [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a motorolla commercial, for the red Krzr. The commercial was all digitally done/animated, of a red krazr popping up with red flashy backgrounds, doing various movements. What is killing me is the song that was playing! I cannot find the commercial on YouTube so it may be farely knew. Has...

Killing loneliness [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone,haven't posted in like 8 months cause I've worked out a few issues I had.Pretty confindent I've confronted these demons,but that's where my new problem start. Im now finding myself to be feeling pretty lonely these days.Well not 24/7 but when I have my personal time,I find myself...

He's killing me (not litteraly) [ 4 Answers ]

But its true there's this guy I like he's cute funny and were verry similar he's one of the few people who understands me and how I hide my emotions but we have one suttle personality diffrence I'm friends with this guy he's gotten in a fist fight in twice. I'm not sure if its because of that but...

My jaw is killing me! [ 3 Answers ]

First off I'll start by saying that I do have a cold, but don't know whether that makes a difference or not. Anyway, yesterday we went out for dinner, and about 30 minutes later, my jaw REALLY started to hurt. It hurt through the right side of my jaw, to my ear, up to my temple/eye. I took 2...

View more questions Search