Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tjina Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Tax liabilities and concerns on leaving US for good
    Hello

I am on H1B for past 4 years and am filing my taxes regularly as Resident alien.(cause satisying substantial presence test)

In Nov 2008 , am leaving US and going to India for good...

How do I file my taxes ?and what are my liabilities on leaving US...
    What points do I need to keep in mind...

I am married and have a child too.

Thanks

Tjina
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
    For 2008 you may need to file Dual Status tax return-- resident in the beginning of the year and nonresident at the end of the year.

Jun 29, 2008, 07:32 AM
    But I am meeting substantial presence test so am I not Resident Alien in US?

Is dual status some typr of return or it means filing at 2 places?

Am confused?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 09:56 AM
    In order to file as a resident alien, you must be resident in the U.S. EVERY day (save a small 10-day grace period). You are leaving over a month before the end of the year.

If you were returning to the U.S. in 2009, you could file as a resident alien under the continuous presence policy, but since that is not the case, a dual-status return is the required return for you.

Under dual-status, you can claim yourself and your wife and child as dependents, but you LOSE the standard deduction.

Jun 30, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Thanks... got better understanding now...

Any date restrictions for filing this return?
    Which Form is it... is it 1040NR?
    Where can I file this return? Here or in India?
    Can I use online tax services like this to file my return or CPA help?

Thanks

Tjina
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
    The dual-status return requires filing BOTH Form 1040NR and 1040.

It CANNOT be filed onl-line, but rather must be mailed, either from the U.S. or India, wherever you are located.

This return is NOT for amateurs! Get professional tax help from someone with experience in filing dual-status returns.

Finally, keep your U.S. bank account open, so the refunds (if any) can be direct deposited. Neither the IRS nor the states will direct deposit to s foreign bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas stove concerns [ 14 Answers ]

I have had a gas stove for about 1 1/2 years. It worked fine until one day it started having a flame that wsa more yellow/orange than blue.(nothing in the house was changed) Called the utility, they checked it out and said that it was safe but not right. Called the store, they sent out a repair...

401k penalty if leaving USA for good [ 33 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a foreign worker in USA. I have savings in 401k while I'm working in USA. If I leave USA for good (i.e. don't have plans to come back - at least not that I know of at the moment... never say never :), can I take my 401k savings out without penalty? Thank you in advance for your...

Leaving a "Good" Relationship. [ 13 Answers ]

You can read my back story in my first post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relationships/what-do-about-distrust-160642.html At the moment, my relationship seems like it is going very well, but because of the issues that I have gone through with her, I am not sure if I should continue the...

2006 Tax Questions - Leaving the US for good [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a resident alien in Bronx, NY. I starting (very early, I know :)) to gather information about filing my 2006 tax return, which is due at the beginning of 2007. Here are a few things about my situation: I have two income sources, one from wages, another one is a scholarship My wife...

View more questions Search