Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dths1980 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
    maximum and minimum
    Find the absolute maximum and minimum, if either exist for the function?
    f(x)=(x-1)(x-5)^3 +1 on the following intervals,

[0,3], [1,7] and [3,6]

thank you
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
    This is rather straight forward. Differentiate by expanding out and doing it term by term or use the product rule. Then, set to 0 and solve for x. Don't forget to check the endpoints as well. Also it never hurts to graph it so you can see what you're looking for.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minimum investment-Maximum profit [ 4 Answers ]

I am pretty interested in starting a business of my own, but unfortunately I don't know what should I do. It would be greatly appreciated if I get some ideas for starting a minimum investment and maximum profit business. I actually want to start a business, a little profit in the beginning would do...

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Maximum or Minimum [ 2 Answers ]

For the function y = 3x^2 + 12x + 9 find: A. Whether the curve is concave up or down B. The y-intercept C. The x-intercept D. The Vertex

Finding the minimum and maximum [ 1 Answers ]

Find the maximum and minimum value of the expression: (y^2)/121 + (w^2)/81 if x, y, z, satisfy the following system: x^2 + y^2 - 8x + 6y - 96 = 0 z^2 + w^2 + 10z - 4w - 52 = 0 xw + yz - 2x - 4w + 5y + 3z - 76 > 0 So far I have done the following:

Maximum and Minimum without a calculator [ 1 Answers ]

FInd the maximum and minimum value of the expression: (y^2)/121 + (w^2)/81 if x, y, z, satisfy the following system: x^2 + y^2 - 8x + 6y - 96 = 0 z^2 + w^2 + 10z - 4w - 52 = 0 xw + yz - 2x - 4w + 5y + 3z - 76 > 0

View more questions Search