Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sigosix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting
    About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump...

The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an already steamy house.
    I replaced the thermostat thinking it was a bad switch (getting heat instead of cool air... must of gotten mixed up between heat and cool). It didn't fix the problem, it just taught me how to replace a thermostat.

The lines coming out of the outside unit were also very warm indeed. These were also the same lines that iced up a month ago before I cleaned the filter and the dirt off the evaporator (after de-icing it also).

I'm guessing a bad valve... I hope it's not the condenser...

How should I continue? What should I expect from the repairman?

Thanks,

Sigosix
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 09:34 AM
    What should I expect from the repairman?

A big bill. Just kidding

You will probably find out the unit is low on refrigerant. This is caused by a leak. If the leak is not found you will be paying for them to come back every once in a while to recharge it so I recommend they find the leak.

It is possible that he reversing valve solenoid or valve itself has gone bad not allowing the unit to switch to the cooling mode but that can only be discovered with ON SITE service. Call now because all the service people will be busy shortly with the higher temperatures coming.
    sigosix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Final Result of On Sight Visit...

Repair man hooked up gages to the outside unit... massive freon cloud as he's trying to hook it up... (Repair man was very professional with 20+ years experience). Gages were showing massive pressure/ Under-pressure... also much rusting on the coils/evaporator...

Analysis:
    Blockage... usually rust...

Replacement of unit needed...

Ouch ($Ka-ching$)

Sigosix
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
    All the coils are copper and do not rust internally or externally so it seems something is wrong with this picture. Also aluminum is what the fins are made of and they do not rust. Now the side plates will rust but usually its no big deal.

In my 40 years of HVAC I never heard of rust blockage in a A/C copper coil. Wow the things they will do and say to sell a new unit.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Don`t let them stick it to you,, I`m leaning toward either a bad reversing valve or maybe a bad defrost board,, stuck in defrost mode

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump not blowing cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down. To be safe I shut it off. Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?...

Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look...

No fan, no heat, no cool [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I have a goodman packaged, forced air, 3 ton, 208/230v outside unit. I believe it's about 4 years old and 92,000 BTU. The problem started with getting only cool air no matter what it was set on and the fan worked fine. I replaced the thermostat with a honeywell programmable. I have 6...

Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air...

View more questions Search