Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Whole House water filter
    This past weekend I replaced my old water softener with a new one. While looking at the different models at Lowe's, I also noticed that they recommend a whole house water filter as a "pre-filter".

As long as I was replacing the water softener, I figured I might as well add the filter. While I was at it. I figured I would add some shut-off valves to create a bypass. (Those are the three most dreaded phrases in the home owners lexicon. And the three most valuable phrases in the Contractors<grin>)

But, I discovered that the inlet to the filters were 1" and not the 3/4" I had at home. So, off to Depot I went to get more parts.

While looking at 3/4" to 1" fittings, most of them seemed real rough at the transition. (The pre-soldered ones were the smoothest, but, they were pre-soldered and I have not had any experience with them.)

Here's my question:

Am I being too picky in wanting smooth transitions?

As for the filter, I am planning on putting an elbow in the run to the softener so that I can start the bypass assembly.

I would make a short run, insert a T. One to go on to the filter, the other to go to a ball valve (to shut off the by-pass) and then to another T to connect back into the return from the filter.

From the T to the filter, I would insert another ball valve, then a 3/4" to 1" elbow and then to a union coupling to allow for easy removal of the filter assembly if needed. From the filter, I would reverse the assembly (run of 1" pipe, union, 1" to 3/4" elbow, ball valve, short run, then the T.

Or, is this all unnecessary?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Hi Dan, Welcome back.

"Transitions"= "Solder joints". As long as the solder joint holds pressure it's probably OK.
    . First let me show you how to bypass the softener,
    All bypases have the same basic design. Yours may look different but they all work the same.
    When the softener's in the system valve 1 and 3 are open and valve 3 is closed.
    To bypass the softener close valves 1 and 3 and open valve number 2.

Let me show you a softener bypass. (see image) Good luck, Tom
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dherman1

As long as I was replacing the water softener, I figured I might as well add the filter. While I was at it. I figured I would add in some shut-off valves to create a bypass. (Those are the three most dreaded phrases in the home owners lexicon. And the three most valuable phrases in the Contractors<grin>)

so true.

after my bath remodel took 3x as long as expected and went 30% over budget (unknown water damage) I expect anyday now for my wife to demand in writing (with witnesses) the cost and projected time for all projects, complete with penalties for not meeting deadlines or budgets. =)

such is the life of the home owner and d.i.y.'er

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Filter [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I...

Whole house water filter [ 3 Answers ]

Recently we delt w/ a partial blockage of our boiler heating coil. We assumed it was from calcification but after the blockage was flushed by the heating repair person, we found it to be small chips of rock/sand. To prevent it further I would like to filter the water as it comes into the house...

Whole-house water filter; Pressure question [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, In my house, we have an AquaPure water filter on the main water line (right after the meter). It works pretty well; the problem is, once the new filter cartridge has been in for a couple of weeks (but not long enough to need a cartridge change), the water pressure begins to drop...

Placement of Whole-house Filter [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to install a new pressure tank and water softener in my 25 year old home with copper pipes. We are on a private septic system and submersible pump well with fairly hard water. I have always been reluctant to install a water softener but removing the rust stains and scale from our...

Culligan whole house water filter [ 2 Answers ]

Found one at Ace Hardware. Any suggestions on any other stores that I would find this whole house water filter at? Doing a comparison shop so I can get the best price to have my neighbor install it in 1 month.

View more questions Search