Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canyouhearmenow Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Considering lowering springs
    Would it be a bad idea to put lowering springs (pro-kit) on my Mazda3 sedan considering I drive around 420 miles a week? It would be for appearance purposes only. Should I be concerned about the accelerated wear and tear on other parts especially with the miles I will be putting on it.
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 27, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Any changes to the wheel/tire size or suspension system will alter the engineered angle of the driveshaft between the transmission and differential. This will cause faster wear of the universal joints, and may effect component seals and bearings. "Everyone does it", but please be careful...
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 06:01 AM
    I don't think it would be a bad idea, so long as it is properly installed and the alignment can still be set to avoid excessive tire wear.
    I think the amount of lowering that is available with that kit won't have a tremendous impact on driveline angle. That is after all front wheel drive and some driveline angle deflection is built in. But as rsain says, be careful. However does the work must have experience to do it right. Be sure to ask to save the O.E. components so that if you don't like the looks/ride, or if you want to eventually sell the car, you can have those parts on hand.
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Your milage won't affect much any damage that can be made from lowering springs, what you need to watch more is the road conditions for the kit you use, depending on whether you use a kit you get from a place specializing in suspension vs. an all around car accesory place... it also depends on how much you lower your car, just make sure you watch out for imitation kits, the more the price the better the components, you don't want to get britle springs, because this will put more stress on your factory seals and bearings as Rsain2004 said... if you want to know my opinion, I would get adjustable suspension, it's a better ride and even though it will cost more it would probably save you money in the long run, as long as you treat your car right
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
    By adjustable suspension, I mean airbags, airstruts, hydraulics, etc.
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 10, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Obviously, Your ride quality will fall if you put just the springs on. Make sure you take your local area's road conditions into consideration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Springs under a Craftsman LT 1000 rider [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was mowing the other day and my mower ran out of gas. Well I put more gas in and started to mow again and it started but every time I let off the clutch it starts to die. I got looking underneath and I see a long spring that's connected on one end but not the other. Could that be the problem...

Compression springs and extension springs [ 2 Answers ]

I am an artist trying to figure out which extension spring to buy to hold back three compression springs. I am using 3 compression springs with the following attributes: deflection a load = 1.1" load lbs =1.95 and rate lbs/in = 1.77 (these are the specs in the catalog) they are stacked in a...

Moving to Palm Springs, CA [ 2 Answers ]

I expect to be moving to Palm Springs CA soon, where the summer months can reach just over 100 degrees. I have a huge record collection. I expect to be getting rid of most of them, but not all. My place of course will be air conditioned, but I wonder if there is any special care I need to give...

Physics: springs [ 1 Answers ]

A 0.50 kg block, starting at rest, slides down a 30.0° incline with kinetic friction coefficient 0.23 (the figure below). After sliding 83 cm down the incline, it slides across a frictionless horizontal surface and encounters a spring (k = 33 N/m). (a) What is the maximum compression of the...

View more questions Search