Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solarmac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
    ABS vs PVC piping
    Nb this sight has advised me not to use capital letters.

Due to re-shingling I have had to take down my solar panels for heating the swimming pool along with all of the 1 1/2" dia. Piping, which is pvc.
    As it is over 20 years old and has been subject to ultraviolet rays I intend to replace it all.
    Abs piping is more readily available in my area than pvc and probably cheaper. Also, with abs being already black (rather than white pvc, it is more inclined to absorb the suns heat.
    My question is 'which is the better product for my application'?
    I don't want to have to renew the piping again because I used the wrong piping.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Ronald macd
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 08:50 PM
    ABS is foam core pipe. PVC is solid core pipe.

ABS is not designed to hold pressure and will eventually split when put under regular residential house pressure. ABS is used for drains and plumbing vents.

PVC pipes are rated for up to 480 psi and are designed to transfer potable water. Today, you can purchase PVC pipe that is specifically designed to be exposed to sun and that lowers process of deterioration caused by exposure to sun rays.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Ronald
    Capitalization, proper punctuation and good sentence structure is welcome here. When advise not to use capitalization, I'm sure the individual meant that using all caps is considered shouting and it makes things hard to read.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by solarmac
    nb this sight has advised me not to use capital letters.

due to re-shingling i have had to take down my solar panels for heating the swimming pool along with all of the 1 1/2" dia. piping, which is pvc.
    as it is over 20 years old and has been subject to ultraviolet rays i intend to replace it all.
    abs piping is more readily available in my area than pvc and probably cheaper. also, with abs being already black (rather than white pvc, it is more inclined to absorb the suns heat.
    my question is 'which is the better product for my application'?
    i don't want to have to renew the piping again because i used the wrong piping.

any advice will be much appreciated
    ronald macd
    Hey ronald,
    Why not use Black 1 1/2" Schedule 40 Flex PVC, (see image)? That way you'd have the best of both worlds. Black to absorb the heat and PVC to withstand the pressure. Check it out at; Black Pipe Pvc - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
    Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by solarmac
    nb this sight has advised me not to use capital letters.

due to re-shingling i have had to take down my solar panels for heating the swimming pool along with all of the 1 1/2" dia. piping, which is pvc.
    as it is over 20 years old and has been subject to ultraviolet rays i intend to replace it all.
    abs piping is more readily available in my area than pvc and probably cheaper. also, with abs being already black (rather than white pvc, it is more inclined to absorb the suns heat.
    my question is 'which is the better product for my application'?
    i don't want to have to renew the piping again because i used the wrong piping.

any advice will be much appreciated

ronald macd
    Both materials are subject to deterioration over time from UV.

If you are in a particularly sunny climate, then I would go with non foam core PVC piping, cellular core piping like ABS and foam core PVC do not stand up very well to extreme weather conditions -- Excessive sunlight causes UV deterioration and extreme cold conditions can lead to delamination when moisture in the foam core freezes and expands.

Few municipalities enforce it, but a number of the adopted codes in use today require vent terminations to be primed and painted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC piping [ 6 Answers ]

Can you run Hot H2O in PVC pipe.I ran my water lines and I seem to have gotten something crossed in the kitchen.Dont know how but Have hot H2O coming from PVC and cold coming from CPVC? I can't get to where it ties in at because it is at the eave end of the house.:confused:

Pvc piping [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to fix my daughters beach wheelchair and it is made of pvc piping. One piece of the piping cracked. I brought the piece to Lowe's and they said it was structural grade pvc and they didn't carry it. It is color coded inside. Can anyone tell me what they know about this and where...

PVC waste piping [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I an a first-time home buyer, and have heard things about the waste piping from home to the septic. I was told that older houses have this piping done with cast iron pipe segments, and the newer ones have this done with PVC piping. My question is: In which year (or thereabout) did the...

Piping [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to get the diagram and parts required for a deepwell water system with a pressurized tank. What do I need to get started?

View more questions Search