Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ayecheewowow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Dosage of heartworm medication
    My 17 month old chihuahua has been on Iverhart Max (6 to 12 lbs.) and doing fine with it. At her last vet visit, she weighed in at 12.3 pounds and the vet now wants to change her to the 12 to 25 lb. dosage. First, I think the scale was off by half a pound -- it read 0.5 when no dog was on it. Second, she's had bad reactions to to both the lepto and bordatella vaccines, and I've decided not to have her vaccinated again (she's never exposed). She's also had allergies that seemed to disappear when I removed all grain from her diet (switched to grain-free super-premium dry). She is not obese, she is CKC and not the tiny AKC apple-dome head type.

My question is would the lower dose of heartworm medicine be sufficient? I am very hesitant to give more than necessary in view of her other sensitivities. (More is NOT always better... ) Some evidence would be helpful as well, as the vet seems insistent on the higher dose citing that overdose is not likely. "Not likely" doesn't put me at ease since it is also "not likely" that dogs react so badly to vaccines or grains.

Thanks in advance!
    A concerned and vigilant pet owner.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 27, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Where do you live? Because heartworm is more of a problem in some areas. I see no reason to increase the dose for up to 25lbs. Especially if she is pregnant or you plan to breed her. If he gives you the larger pill just break it in half if the dog is only 12lbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can dogs have heartworm treatment more then once? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old black retriever. About two years ago we found out he had heartworms. We did the extensive treatment and got rid of them. Since then he has been on heartworm preventative. Recently he started coughing like he did when he had heartworms. I am taking him to the vet this...

Heartworm medicine [ 3 Answers ]

We gave our puppy (4mos old) heartworm medicine and a week later she became deathly sick. Is is possible for puppies to get sick from taking heartworm medicine?

Tape worm medication dosage [ 5 Answers ]

I have two young puppies that have been medicated once by the D-Worm brand tape worm remover. It seems to have taken care of the problem but should I follow up with another dosage later on or is one enough. Thanks.

Worried about heartworm meds. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone - I have three dachshunds which I monthly give Sentinel heartworm treatment pills. My problem is that I am almost a month behind on their treatment because my vet will not authorize the prescription until she has now tested all three for heartworm - an idea that would have been...

View more questions Search