Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarolinaP81 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Family has helped increase my tantrums through the years
    I have come to the realization that I am a temperamental time bomb. If the wrong look, or thing is said I can go from 0-100 in a second. I can flip out on people who I love the most and then I just leave the scene. I have done it to my boyfriend and he had enough so he called for some space/ time to think. I have done it to my younger brother.I feel anger towards my family at times because I feel like sometimes they exclude me from family events or they just think I won't show up. I have struggled to change my behavior throughout the years.

At times I feel like no one really loves me. Like if I am alone in this world. I have been talking to a counselor but I feel like I need to speak to my family. I just tried talking to my mom about it and she kind of brushed me off. I asked her why she does or says the things she says sometimes and she answered its who I am I tell the truth whether it hurts or not. I feel like I get nowhere with her. And, when I try to talk to my dad if he is mad he just walks out and says we'll talk later but later never comes. My boyfriend and I had an argument and told him that maybe he didn't know what he wanted so he got mad at me because he says this is the third time I tell him that and I flipped out on him told him I didn't want to be with him then I regretted saying it because I love him so much and I apologized and told him I loved him and wanted to be with him. I tried talking to my boyfriend and being completely honest with him I broke down and cried hysterically but then when I was done opening up to him he calls for space and time to think about our 3 yr relationship and where its going. I just feel so alone.

Its very ironic because I am an Applied Behavior Analysis therapist and my job is to modify behaviors through the use of reinforcer and therapy. I have gotten honorary certificates and my name is known through the Board of Education. Yet I feel so lost and confused within myself that I am a behavior analyst/ therapist yet can't take my own advice or change my own behavior. Should I leave my home and find a place of my own? Should I isolate from loved ones for a while and find myself? How do I find myself? Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Have you looked at the book, "Search for Significance?"
    CarolinaP81 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
    No I have not. I am currently reading a book on how to communicate--- 'Communication- What works and why'. I had planned on heading to Barnes and Nobles tomorrow in search for self help book. I will definitely look for the book you suggested. Thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Many mental health professionals need a mental health professional of their own. Do you have a therapist? If not, I would suggest one.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
    I think your career is too stressful for you. What do you think? That has set you up for being unable to deal with other areas of your life in a rational way. Each individual grows up in an environment that preconditions that person to how they can deal with life's stressful areas... career, male relationships, family, friends, death and loss, and so on.

I think you need to see a psychiatrist because you need more than just what a therapist has to offer at this time. I don't think you should wait too long because you may be starting to spin out of control. Do not make any decisions right now; try to find a way to calm yourself until you can be seen.

Very best wishes to you. :)

Caveat: I'm not a psychiatrist; my family and I just have a lot of experience with mental illness along with all the different manifestations of illness... helpful drugs... and winning strategies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My grandfather died on a side of my family that I have not seen in years? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have been separated and divorced for 5 years. The whole separation and divorce was nasty,because my father just up and left my mom. Due to the situation, my siblings and I have been with my mom and left my dad high and dry. I know that I resent my dad for splitting up my family and...

Family friend has issues with girlfriend of 5 years [ 5 Answers ]

Okay a friend of my family is having problems with his girlfriend of 5 years (also a family friend). They are constantly argueing and degrading each. Lately she was getting on him cause he needed a better paying job (he was working for a moving company). Well she was degrading him calling him a...

Custody after 5 years with family [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Washington Ilost custody of my children in 2001 for being a victim of domestic violence anyway would it be possible to regain custody after such along time I did not lose rights my aunt and uncle just have physical custody and I also only think IT would be in my sons best interest not to...

Family drama going on for years.sorry so long! [ 2 Answers ]

My husband does not have a good relationship with his mother. In fact, he was not wanted when he was born, and she has not ever been a good mother to him. He was in foster care, was sent to live with family, was sent to live with friends, etc. He has put this behind him, and he's a wonderful,...

Two year old tantrums [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a twenty month old, a five year old and a four month old. My question pertains to my twenty month old. She is a very funny and energetic child and I'm having trouble with her sleeping through the night and throwing horrendous tantrums, worst when she wakes from her naps. Here's...

View more questions Search