Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mias mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Cc debt of deceased spouse is haunting me
    My husband passed away very unexpectedly in December of 2007. My niece made phone calls for me to notify all of his connections of his death and when necessary, wrote letters and sent death certificates. Most everyone was wonderful and accepted the certificate of death as proof and closed down his accounts. Chase, on the other hand, is insisting I pay his bills. One card is $6,000,00 and up until a year ago, was in his name only. He added my name because we purchased a home and decided to use it as the house account. That one, I can understand if I have to take care of that one because I used it for the past three months for things for the home. But the other one is his only. It is over $9000.00, and is possibly the remaining balance of a car he transferred over when he was given a good offer. I married at the age of 43... after I was established and independent. He was 49, also independent, but in much more debt , being married before with 4 children. Is there any law clarifying my responsibility with his debt?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2008, 07:55 PM
    I think I would return any statements with his new address. We did that on an account that my father-in-law had when he passed. When the people finally figured out it was a plot at the cemetery, they left my mother-in-law alone. Of course there was no estate to settle. In your case, this appears to be his own separate property, not acquired by the marriage. His estate may be liable, but I doubt that you are.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2008, 04:56 AM
    It might deppend on the state laws, what is your state?

Also keep in mind that being an authorized user does not make you responsible for the bill by itself, only if you are co-signer or the debt can be counted as part of the community property of your marriage

Also if any charge was made after his death you might have to pay those charges

Carl.-
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 05:52 AM
    His estate and ONLY his estate is responsible for any debts he left that were in his own name only. The possible exception here is some community property states.

Now if there was nothing in his estate then you don't owe anything. However, if there was something in his estate and it was not used to pay off or pay down his debts, then you may be in some trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Haunting from deceased family members. [ 12 Answers ]

Can family members spirits be in a house they had never been in? I think my grandfather is in my house(he passed away 12-11-04 and we purchased our house 10-13-2006). There is no history of prior hauntings or deaths. I have furniture that belonged to my grandparents and nothing had ever happened...

Debt of deceased mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed away with a large credit card debt and very little assets. Would I be held responsible and would can the creditor take me to court?

Old debt haunting me, buying first home. [ 1 Answers ]

I made an idiot mistake and trusted my ex-boyfriend to pay on my credit card for charges he made. I never second-guessed him or even opened the statements when they showed up at our house. Well, needless to say- he was never paying on the charges. Fast forward five or six years to me buying my own...

Debt of deceased [ 1 Answers ]

When a single parent passes away, leaves no will, yet has a bank account, insurance policy, are grown children responsible for her debt or how will hospital and doctor bills be satisfied?

View more questions Search