Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lizzie Mae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Break a Lease in Fla. For Work Purposes
    I am currently mid way through my year lease and now my office wants me to move to the city where they are, I work from home. I would like to go to work out of that office but am not sure what my lease says I can do to break the lease earlier than planned. The only thing I can pinpoint in the lease is how much the rent is and how to pay it. There is no part of the lease stipulating what happens if the tenant wants to leave the premises before the end of the lease term... I have a good relationship with the landlord, but we all know that could change when money is included.. What am I responsible to do in order to follow the wishes of my Bosses and keep my Job? And, in the last week, I have been robbed, witnessed a questionable transaction, and had four cop cars next door... I think the offer to move to my job city looks better every day. I'm kind of scared here now.

Thank You for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 10:25 PM
    In a lease you can't just leave, and Florida is the worst state, since the landlord has no obligation to even look for another renter. You can be obligated to pay the full rent. You will need work out a deal with the land lord if you want to move
    Lizzie Mae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Thank you for answering me. I didn't think I would ever want to break the lease, as most people, but now I find Many things coming at me that are leading me that way. I guess the only thing is to present it to the landlord and see what goes there. I had heard that if it were for work purpose that would change the situation. Now hearing that it doesn't makes the situation all the more worse. Thank You again.

Lizzie Mae
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2008, 06:21 AM
    You heard wrong. There is no out if your work situation forces you to move. So you have three options:

1) negotiate a buyout with the landlord (generally 2 months rent)
    2) sublet
    3) find a successor tenant that the landlord can agree to.

As Chuck said, Florida law does not require the landlord to make a good faith effort to find a new tenant. Therefore, they can hold you responsible for the balance of the lease without trying to re-rent it.

Talk to your company, if they are requiring the move, they may help pay for a buyout.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Hello L:

Of course, companies KNOW about relocation costs. They KNOW about leases. If they want you to move, why don't they pay for it?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to break a lease [ 4 Answers ]

I signed a 12 month lease in which I in the 8th month of the lease. My 13 year old son developed cancer and died at home. Since then my other son and I are having a hard time being in the same place that he died. So I decided to buy a house. I gave them a 30 plus day written notice. And they are...

How can I break a lease? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have signed a one year lease; after 5 months of living here, the owner has rented to a couple who smoke, constantly. The smoke is coming into my unit and when I called to complain, the landlord discounted my concers. Do I have any recourse? Thanks

Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease [ 5 Answers ]

I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my...

How to I break a lease? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a 1 year lease in Feb. 2007. When we signed the lease we told the property manager we were going through a 'home buyers assistance' program and we wanted to know what would happen if we needed out of our lease early. She said we would lose our pet deposit and security...

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search