Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jananne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 05:24 PM
    GFI outlets in Jacuzzi tubs.
    Are GFI outlets required by the state of Texas in jacuzzi tubs? A friend of mine said this was the case, however, when I purchased my loft last year, my inspector, who inspected the motor of the jacuzzi, never made mention of this. I checked the outlet myself today under the tub and discovered it is a commercial outlet for a three prong plug. It is not a GFI outlet.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jun 26, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jananne
    Are GFI outlets required by the state of Texas in jacuzzi tubs? A friend of mine said this was the case, however, when I purchased my loft last year, my inspector, who inspected the motor of the jacuzzi, never made mention of this. I checked the outlet myself today under the tub and discovered it is a commercial outlet for a three prong plug. It is not a GFI outlet.
    Maybe the circuit breaker supplying the outlet is a GFI?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 06:34 PM
    I don't know of anyplace that would omit the requirement for GFI protection of a whirlpool tub.

I also suspect a GFI breaker. Very common.
    How about a funny looking device, with no holes, on a wall in the bathroom with a "test" and "reset" buttons on it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
    I agree with these posts. You will almost never see a whirlpool plugged into a GFCI outlet. Most whirlpool connections are hidden behind a panel so a GFCI outlet would be very inconvenient. Its most likely a GFCI breaker on your panel.

Jun 26, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    I don't know of anyplace that would omit the requirement for GFI protection of a whirlpool tub.

I also suspect a GFI breaker. Very common.
    How about a funny looking device, with no holes, on a wall in the bathroom with a "test" and "reset" buttons on it?
    Thank you. I have checked my circuit breaker box and it appears that it is a GFI breaker. I will have someone who is confident about these things double check. I will also let my concerned neighbors know this is probably the case in their lofts as well.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Just flip that GFCI off and try the tub. If you have no power then that is the right breaker, especially if the power to the tub returns when you throw the breaker back to ON.

Jun 26, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I agree with these posts. You will almost never see a whirlpool plugged into a GFCI outlet. Most whirlpool connections are hidden behind a panel so a GFCI outlet would be very inconvenient. Its most likely a GFCI breaker on your panel.
    Yes, it appears you are correct. Thank you for your quick response. I'm new to this site but am very impressed. I love it when I learn something new and all of my respondents have taught me to become acquainted with my circuit breaker box. I have studied it closely and I'm quite happy to say shame on me for not having done this earlier. Live and Learn.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 26, 2008, 07:00 PM
    It is common here in California and Nevada to wire the GFI breaker receptacle into a plug circuit. That way all the plugs in the circuit are protected. My bathrooms are wired to the one in my garage and all the kitchen plugs have a common GFI receptacle near the GD switch.
    The downside is locating it when it trips. Evidently it must be cheaper than putting it at the breaker panel ?

Just thought I would toss this in as food for thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a hot tubs water be hotter with 220 than 110? [ 6 Answers ]

We purchased a used hot tub with out a manuel. It is 110 now, the water is 75 degrees. We do not want to spend money on wireing 220 if it will not get any hotter. It seems to me that the water heater is a water heater, and that no matter what type of hook up we have it will only get as hot as it...

No hot water in tubs [ 2 Answers ]

I can get hot water in 1st floor bathroom and kitchen sinks but 1st and 2nd floor showers no hot water nor 2nd floor sink please help

Hot tubs [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what could be wrong on a hot tub when the ground breaker will not stay on? We know the breaker itself is not broke, but we don't know what we need to do, can you help?

Custom Tile Tubs [ 1 Answers ]

Cust-tub New Member Join Date: Oct 2006 Posts: 0 Custom Tile Tub -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Speedball,

Tubs/toilets clogged [ 1 Answers ]

Three days ago, in our ranch house with 2 full baths, both showers were used and the water stopped draining and when the toilet was flushed it did not drain but overflowed and also caused water to start leaking in a small pinhole in the cast iron drainage pipe between bath #1 and bath #2. Bath #1...

View more questions Search