Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bijumalai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Earned Income Credit
    Hi ATE,
    I am an Indian national who entered US on F1 visa in Aug 2002 and am currently on OPT. I have been filing my tax returns all these years using cintax software which used 1040NREZ and 8843. I graduated in May 2005 and have been on OPT since then. I worked on F1 visa till May 2005 and then graduated and again started working from Dec 2005 on OPT.
    I was trying to file tax using www.taxact.com website.
    I gave in all the details and finally I am observing that I am getting more than what is being withheld from me. My total income was $7039 for 2005. Around$1000 was withheld and I am getting refund of $1369. In that I see that I am getting $360 of EIC. (earned income credit)
    I suppose it is only eligible for residents who file the tax using 1040/1040EZ.
    So can I file tax using www.taxact.com though I am a non-resident?

I have another question and it is for my friend. My friend also entered into US in the same time as I did and both of us graduted in the same time. But he got a job in May 2005 and was working on OPT until October when his H1b started. So should he file as a resident or a non-resident? Which is better to get maximum returns?

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Bijumalai:

The critical issue is WHEN did you convert to H-1B visa status?

If it was before 1 July 2005, then it is okay for you to file as a resident alien and use the TaxAct software.

If it was after 1 July 2005, you can still file as a resident alien, but you must wait until you qualify as a resident alien under First Year Choice. If you do not want to wait, you must file as a non-resident alien.

Same logic applies to your friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

Earned run? [ 3 Answers ]

If a batter is hit by the pitch and then later scores, does the pitcher get an earned run for that?

Query on foreign-earned taxation India/US DTAA [ 4 Answers ]

I was employed in US by a US organization for 5 months from Aug'05 to Dec'05 on H1B visa. I had file US returns with IRS in the month of April '06 with filing status as 'Other Single Non-resident alien', as I did not satisfy the substantial presence test of 183 days in US. Now, while I am...

Single W2 form for wages earned on F1 and H1-B [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a citizen of India, I worked as an intern on F1 from Jan to May 2005, then from July 2005 I started working on H1-B for the same employer. But I have received only a single W2-form indicating that the wages I earned on F1 + the wages I earned on H1B are taxable. 1) Is this right?...

View more questions Search