Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aasejon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Lay offs
    All of the people in our company are employed "at will", but some will be laid off for a definite period and the plan is to employ them again after several months. Can any criteria that the company chooses be used to select the people who will be laid off? It was suggested by one of our managers that one of the criteria that the company should use for selecting the people who will be laid off is seniority. Other managers want to use job performance as the criteria for selection. What criteria may be legally "off limits" to the employer?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 10:13 AM
    You can not layoff by religion, sex, age and other protected classes.

You can layoff all the red haired people ( as long as it is not a nationality things) you can lay off every other person standing in a line if you want.

But seniority is the more normal way of doing it, but production is also used at times

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Cut Offs [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I find the water valves to cut the water off to my existing tub? (Trying to replace the tub).

Charge offs [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit card back in 1996-97. I was in hard times and couldn't pay it. It ended up as a charge off. What does that mean? Now, 10 years later a new collector says they have bought the account and I now owe them. So where do I stand or where can I stand with this?:confused:

Write offs [ 1 Answers ]

Can I write off part of my one bedroom apartment. I work from home.

Small business tax right offs [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinkig about starting a small siding company and was wondering about tax right offs.This business will be based out of a home office so can I right off part off the house for company office space also what can I right off as far as exspences provided I keep reciepts for every thing .My wife...

Shut offs [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a few shut offs.. ball valve type. My question is, do the "lever"s have to be positioned at the top of the valve? Can the be mounted on the side or down... the valves will be installed horizontally.. Thanks.

View more questions Search