Pros cons salary hourly
    What are the pros and cons of salary versus hourly classification
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
    From what angle?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Salary and Hourly compensation means exempt and non exempt. What it is talking about is whether the employee is exempt from the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act).

If the employee is exempt than he/she is not paid overtime pay . They are paid by the job and not by the hour thus their salary is for the job they are doing and is not judged in hourly increments. They cannot be docked for partial days off for doctor's appointments or other partial days off. They can be docked for one full day off. If the company pays PTO or vacation time the employer can use that time to pay for the 1/2 day or whole day absence. If they have no time to cover the partial day absence than they still have to be paid for it.

If the employee is hourly they are paid for each hour they work on an hourly basis. They are non exempt which means they are not exempt from the FLSA. They also must be paid overtime for all time worked in excess of 40 hours. If they are off they do not get paid. If the company offers PTO or vacation they are allowed to use it when they are off.

The exempt or non exempt is determined by the FLSA standards. The employer can make anyone non exempt and pay them hourly even if they meet the exempt classification. The employer cannot make everyone exempt. To classify an employee as exempt from the FLSA and overtime certain standards must be met.

You can read about the FLSA and the exemptions at the Department of Labor Website:

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Shirley
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Salary can be nice. But I don't like the salary where you work 40 hrs one week and 70 hrs the next and make what has been cited as "chinese overtime". Chines o.t. is a fractional amount of pay for overtime hours. Which SUCKS. Be sure you weigh the options of how you will be paid. On the up side of salary, if you are sick and miss three days one week, you make the same amount for working the other two days when you weren't sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the Pros and Cons? [ 2 Answers ]

What are Pros and Cons If you finish a Bachelors in Nursing: In the Philippines (4years) Or In the US (LPN to RN to BSN) I am also considering the cost, landing a good job, quality of education and other factors.

Pros & Cons. [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone Please help me with this question: I am considering the nursing field. Please remember that I am asking as an outsider looking in: ADVANTAGES 1) I think this field will continue to grow so job demand should be good. 2) Flexible schedule (I think) 3) Opportunities for travel (I...

Teacher Uniforms Pros and Cons [ 8 Answers ]

I would like for the teachers at our school to wear uniforms. I'm not as concerned about students wearing uniforms because that is whole another topic. I want to know if anyone knows of a school that has uniforms for the teachers to wear? If so, how is that working and what are the pros and...

DirecTv Pros and Cons [ 5 Answers ]

I switched from Dishnetwork who I was a customer with for almost 4 years to DirecTv a few months ago. I was fed up with the constant technical problems from DishNet and they didn't want to fix anything. I like DirecTv so far because they own the equipment so if anything breaks, then they are...

Lexapro Pros & Cons [ 2 Answers ]

I just started on Lexicon yesterday and am interested in hearing other user's comments concerning any/all side effects and are they worth living with. Thanks f:confused: or any/all feedback

View more questions Search