Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
    I am sorry, someone coming up to my car, I have no idea if they are armed or not armed, and after finding out you were wrong they are armed is not the time to say, oh, wish I had my gun with me.

Gerogia has just passed,and it goes into effect July 1st, that we can now carry our weapons on the mass transit, bus, subway and into state parks. Not that I had not carried mine all the time anyway, but at least now they are allowing them into some of the places where they know there is often no fast escape and where crime is more likely to happen.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    What this ruling finally did was put to rest this phony argument that the 2nd is not for individuals but to arm "well regulated militias".

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. " James Madison
    Arrghhh. That phony argument Elliot used to use against me all the time in gun debates. Oh I wish he was here to see his number one off-sider disagreeing with him! :)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politi...tml#post675348

There are lots of statistics in the above thread that will diasgree with the notion that an armed society is a polite one.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Jun 30, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I think there are even more threads above that will agree with that notion.
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    There are lots of statistics in the above thread that will diasgree with the notion that an armed society is a polite one.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 02:22 AM
    Skell perhaps in Aussie there are no individual rights to own guns but our founders thought it important enough to make it the 2nd amendment in our Bill of Rights next to free speech. I suspect it is the historical difference between the two countries where the USA had to fight for it's independence ;compared to the debate I've read about there where you still have significant numbers of people who embrace the crown.

However it looks like the debate has been renewed as more and more Aussies join in the call to create a republic free of the shackles of the Queen .

“The time has come for Australia to become a republic. The old way of governing has long been creaking and groaning.''
    Prime Minister Kevin Rudd , from speech at 2020 Summit, April 2008
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I am sorry, someone comming up to my car, I have no idea if they are armed or not armed, and after finding out you were wrong they are armed is not the time to say, oh, wish I had my gun with me.
    So you would be willing to kill someone on the suspicion that they were armed?

Thanks again for proving my point. This shoot first and ask questions later attitude is precisely the reason why arming the general population is a dangerous thing to do.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
    We have a large influx of gang members and an extremely bad drug problem with Meth and Cocaine in our area along with other things.

The citizens here are totally fed up with it and we are starting to stand up for ourselves. We have had axe murders, home invasions, people being attacked and murdered just going for a walk on our greenbelt, rapes, kidnapping, people being killed in our national forest campgrounds and the list goes on. The crimes are very violent, very horrible in nature and we can't just stand by like lambs and hope it goes away! It is not going away.

I have lived in this area most of my life, I was here first, these people coming into our area and bringing violence with them can just go back where they came from or somewhere where the people that don't believe in guns for protection live.

Our policemen are doing their best, but it is a huge area and much of it is rural and they just can't be everywhere. It is different here than in some larger cities where everyone is all in the same area. We have even had policemen shot and killed.

It is hard for us that have lived here a long time, grew up and went to school here. We used to have 30,000 people, now we are closer to 90,000 people and it is getting very scary. The axe murder was 3 houses down and a block over in my subdivision. A cop was shot 3 blocks down the other direction.

Sorry, but I really feel like my gun needs to be loaded and accessible at all times. If someone breaks into my home I am not going down without a fight! There is a very large percentage of the population in the Pacific Northwest that feel the same way and we just refuse to allow the criminals to walk on us and to take over everything we have worked to own. You can't have our neighborhood and you can't have our guns.

I hope the Supreme Court keeps on protecting the freedom's of the average citizen because someone has to.

Shirley
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Skell perhaps in Aussie there are no individual rights to own guns but our founders thought it important enough to make it the 2nd amendment in our Bill of Rights next to free speech. I suspect it is the historical difference between the two countries where the USA had to fight for it's independence ;compared to the debate I've read about there where you still have significant numbers of people who embrace the crown.

However it looks like the debate has been renewed as more and more Aussies join in the call to create a republic free of the shackles of the Queen .

“The time has come for Australia to become a republic. The old way of governing has long been creaking and groaning.’’
    Prime Minister Kevin Rudd , from speech at 2020 Summit, April 2008
    I agree with you Tom. Your gun culture is definitely ingrained in your psyche seemingly for historical reasons first and foremost.

For the record I'm one of those people who can't wait for the day Australia becomes a republic. Most people do. Not that the Queen really plays any part whatsoever in our governance.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 1, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    I agree with you Tom. Your gun culture is definitely ingrained in your psyche seemingly for historical reasons first and foremost.

"Gun culture"? What a loaded term used almost only by those who don't understand the idea of maintaining the ability to protect oneself, not to mention the challenge of sport shooting (that's targets). The police not only can't be everywhere, they don't even have a duty to protect you (no matter what many display as 'mottos') - the Supreme Court acknowledged that. So self defense is againing ground as the natural right it is. More states are passing Castle Defense laws all the time which overrule those nonsense laws that said your first duty is to run away because if you injure your attacker you might be charged or he might sue you.

Our so-called gun culture is based on individual liberty and self reliance that historically came with settling this nation. (Tho we do owe an apology to the 'original founding fathers', the Native Americans):o
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:41 AM
    [QUOTE=ScottGem]And you really think that woman was justified in shooting? /QUOTE]

Yep! I do.

She was under attack, by an outraged idiot, two to three times her size, obviously intending to do her bodily harm. Totally justified in defending herself.

[QUOTE=ScottGem]All she had to do is roll up her windows and lock the doors./QUOTE]

If you had seen the size of this guy, how angry he was, and how aggressive his behavior was, I can guarantee you that YOU would have had no false belief that your window was going to protect you from him, in even the slightest way.

I guess by your reply, you would have sat there and gotten knocked out again, or worse, again, those are your rights, to make those decisions regarding your own safety.

I, along with many others, choose not to be a willing victim of any criminal attack.

[QUOTE=ScottGem]What if she had mortally wounded him? Would that have been justified?/QUOTE]

Another YEP!

He would have gotten exactly what he was asking for, and no one else would ever have to worry about being attacked again by this uncontrolled maniac.

[QUOTE=ScottGem]You really think, even a highly trained shooter would have been able to draw his weapon and kill the two and maybe all 4 before one of them was able to get off a shot killing him?/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, I know that I easily could have disposed of the two armed assailants. Fact is, one clean shot, in most cases, would be enough to send the others running for their lives, since they already have the mind set that what they are doing is WRONG! Sadly, if they didn't run, the body count could be higher, and yes, there is always the possibility that I could be one of them.

The night manager, had no way of knowing, if he would live or die, for the entire 20 minutes he lay on the floor, totally helpless. You know some criminals don't leave witnesses to identify them, if they are captured later.

I would rather die, fighting for my life, or the lives of those I love and care about, than to die as a coward, allowing the criminal element to have their way with no resistance.

I refuse to be a willing victim, period.

It all comes down to choice.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    "Gun culture"? What a loaded term used almost only by those who don't understand the idea of maintaining the ability to protect oneself
    I guess the scary part to us outsiders is the shear number of people you have to protect yourself from in the US.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Hmmm lets see in Canada Firearms account for 2.4 per cent of all victims of violence . Clubs and other blunt objects accounted for 3 per cent, while knives account for another 6.2 per cent.

The solution to me is clear . All knives in Canada should be registered or banned .
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:14 AM
    That's the logic that makes you 'special'. :)

Jul 2, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Here's an interesting tidbit.

Levittown man shoots himself at pistol inspection -- Newsday.com

Should this man have his guns returned?
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
    I got another one for you then

Per capita the gun ownership in Canada and Switzerland is greater than in the US . And yet the gun violence is less . That would make one think that if perhaps more Americans were armed that the rate of gun violence would also drop eh ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Should this man have his guns returned?
    Scott How many people on LI are admitted weekly to the emergency room with finger wounds from their lawn mowers or cutting their bagels Sunday morning ?

The Darwin Awards are loaded with stories like that .
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I got another one for you then

Per capita the gun ownership in Canada and Switzerland is greater than in the US . And yet the gun violence is less . That would make one think that if perhaps more Americans were armed that the rate of gun violence would also drop eh ?
    I answered that question when you first posted it here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ml#post1127516

I find that stat very hard to believe. But if canadians do have more guns they are shotguns for hunting. The lesser gun violence stat represents that fact that they are far less desperate people in these countries than in the US, or maybe they prize life to a higher degree (i.e. the taking of a life is not as glorified as it is in the US).

Jul 2, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Scott How many people on LI are admitted weekly to the emergency room with finger wounds from their lawn mowers or cutting their bagels Sunday morning ?

The Darwin Awards are loaded with stories like that .
    That's dodging the issue.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Perhaps it is a dodge but so is posting isolated stories of gun accidents due to careless handling . I can buy your argument that there is ample reason for regulation . But from a statistical point of view there is a correlation with loosening of the regulations and a correlating drop in gun violence. Conversely the highest rates of gun violence are found in cities with the tightest regulations . Perhaps it is not a coincidence.

Over in Canada they spend a fortune on the gun registry . Yet the trend is increases in gun violence. It is coming in the wake of other social factors there that I will leave everyone else to ponder .What NK is not saying is that gun violence was a pretty significant issue in their 2006 elections .

They of course tried to blame America for their gun "problem " and now the mayor of Toronto has pledged to fight gun violence by going after law abiding owners who practice in "gun clubs" . Delusional .
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 03:34 PM
    What NK is not saying is that gun violence was a pretty significant issue in their 2006 elections .
    I didn't say that because it was never an issue... EVER! Making up stuff is a poor way to try to make your point.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 03:37 PM
    perhaps it is a dodge but so is posting isolated stories of gun accidents due to careless handling . I can buy your argument that there is ample reason for regulation . But from a statistical point of view there is a correlation with loosening of the regulations and a correlating drop in gun violence. Conversely the highest rates of gun violence are found in cities with the tightest regulations . Perhaps it is not a coincidence.
    It is no coincidence.

Take a look at the homicide rates for Washington DC, where handgun ownership was banned for over 30 years.

It has consistently been the highest of any metropolitan area in the US.

Find the most restrictive gun laws or policies, and you will find the highest levels of violent crime.

Why?

Because criminals are dumb, but not stupid, they will always choose the path of least resistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas supreme court and court of criminals [ 2 Answers ]

How are our Texas Supreme Court and Texas Court of Criminal Appeals selected

Handguns is finally going to the Supreme Court. [ 21 Answers ]

Washington, D.C.'s long standing ban on handguns is finally going to the Supreme Court. The ruling could change the way the second amendment is interpreted… the DC v. Heller handgun case. This will undoubtedly become another major issue in the Presidential campaign. “The federal appeals court...

Supreme Court [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the process which Supreme Court uses to enforce a ruling based on a law's constitutionality is called?

Superior Court and Supreme Court [ 4 Answers ]

Is a "Superior court" the same thing as the "Supreme Court"?

Supreme Court [ 1 Answers ]

Is it time to get rid of the Supreme Court? Why or why not? What would replace it?

View more questions Search