Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarangk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 10:32 AM
    How to Claim SS & Medicare on H1B
    Hello,

I am currently working on my H1b Visa. I started working with a company from Jan 2005. Jan 2005 till April 2005 I was on OPT. I got my H1b approved from first week of June. I would like to claim SS & medicare taxes. I am the only H1b guy in this company so HR people are not aware how to handle this situation.

Your help in this concern is highly appreciate

Regards
    SarangK
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
    SarangK:

If they withheld SS and Medicare taxes while you were under F-1 visa status, you can request a refund using Form 843. You need to ask for the refund from the company first. If they refuse (and they probably will), get the refusal in writing, preferably on company letterhead.

Download IRS Pub 519 from www.IRS.gov, then read pages 45 - 47 for procedures to claim this refund,

Mar 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Thanks a lot Atlanta Tax Expert.
    Suppose if want to claim the through IRS 843, do I need to submit my paystub as a proof to IRS or should I need the letter from company saying that withhold my SS & medicare. I will talk to my company how I can assure that during my F1 visa status I should get back my SS & Medicare. Is their any link on IRS website which says like that so that I can take a printout of that and showed to my HR people..
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
    SarangK:

The first thing you should do is request a refund of the withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes from your employer. When they refuse (and they will refuse), get the refusal in writing, preferably on company letterhead.

That refusal is the major piece of documentation you need for the refund request. The rest are forms or photocopies of forms you already have, including the paystub and/or W-2 which shows the withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Mar 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Thanks a lot Atlanta Tax Expert!! This was really helpful..
    I really appreciate your sincere response to my queries.
    Regards
    Sarangk
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B claim for social security and medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I read that when you are in OPT status, you can claim for social security and medicare. Once you are in H1B status you are liable for those. But I heard people saying that during the period of your H1B (max 6 years) you can claim your social security and medicare max 2 times...

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

F1 opt claim ssn and medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Country of origin: syria I have been in the US since August 2001 on F1 visa. Only left the US for 30 days in August 2002(been in the us since then).. Started my OPT on July 2004. Then started working for a company... Offcourse they deducted SSN, medicare taxes from my paychecks.. ...

6th Year F-1 CPT Claim SS & Medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 6th year F-1 student from China. I am doing a summer internship at a company this summer. They withheld SS & MediCare taxes from my paycheck. I am not sure if I am subject to such taxes since I am considered a RA for tax purpose after my 5th F-1 year. If I am not subject to such taxes, which...

View more questions Search