Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patricemichellei Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
    101 on Child Care Tax Credit
    My daughter was born in January of 2008. We're debating whether to send her to an in-home nanny who does not claim the income or a daycare. We like the nanny, but if there's a great tax benefit, we'll take the daycare route beginning in August. Please explain how this "credit" works and if it would be worth it since we also worry about illnesses and adult:child ratios in the daycares. The daycare charges $180/week and the nanny charges $30/day, so my days off I won't be charged.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
    The Child Care tax credit is keyed to your income; the more you make, the lower the credit.

Further, the credit is capped at about $600.

So, tax-wise, the nanny is your best option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child / Dependent Care Credit - H1/H4 Status [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the US on an H1, and my spouse in on an H4. We have a 3-year old daughter who is a US citizen. We send her to a private pre-school that costs quite a bit of money. Can this amount be claimed under the Child / Dependent Care credit ? Thanks

Can we claim Child Care Expenses for child with ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

We are on L1 visa, married and filing jointly. We would like to know if we can claim child care expenses ( day care) for our child who qualifies for a dependent child but does not have an SSN. We have been told that if the child has an ITIN we can only claim for the child care credit ( i.e 1000$)...

Child care benefits for non resident alien child? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 while my wife and son are non resident aliens on a J2. My wife has a SSN while my son has an ITIN. They have lived with me the hole tax year. Can I claim child care benefits for my son? Thanks for all your help in advance, ...

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

Dependent Care credit, CP & NCP [ 10 Answers ]

I have two children. During first 7 months of 2005 I was CP and I paid for daycare for both kids. During last five months, Dad was CP and paid for daycare. Custody Order states we each get to claim one child as dependent. But, we each have dependent care expenses (daycare) for both children. ...

View more questions Search