Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susan Fitzpatrick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Toilet Surging
    My upstairs bathroom toilet sounds like it is surging on a regular basis. The water level is appropriate. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 20, 2006, 11:24 AM
    Hi Susan,

What we have to find out here is the cause. "Surge" just don't get it. What I want to hear is "gurgle" or "bubble". In other words when it"surges", does it "surge "up or pull down? Up means a partial blockage while down indicates a blocked vent. I await your answer. Cheers, Tom

Mar 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
    How do you tell the difference between surging up or down? The water level doesn't change, it just makes a surging sound, not like running all the time just periodically. Sorry that I can't be more clear.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 21, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Let me put it this way: do you hear a sound like continuosly running water (as if water is running slowly from the tank into the bowl)? Or do you hear a sound like bubbles or gurgles inside the pipes (kinda like the bubbling you might hear when you pull the stopper out of the bottom of a sink filled with water)?

Also, does this sound a) happen continuously, b) go on for a while, then off for a while, then back on, etc. (and if yes, approximately how long is the duration of each cycle - how long is it on, then how long is it off) or c) does it happen randomly, and when it does, it does so in short, quick bursts?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fitzpatrick
    How do you tell the difference between surging up or down? The water level doesn't change, it just makes a surging sound, not like running all the time just periodically. Sorry that I can't be more clear.

Sorry Susan,

Now I understand the question. Do this. Tale your finger and run it around the flatside of the flapper. If you feel nicks, rough spots or wavey edges then replace the flapper. Flapper OK? Then feel around the seeat the flapper sets on. Any rough edges or nicks there? Last, look at the water level when the tank's full. The ball cock should shut down leaving 1'2" inch of space between the water level and the top of the white overflow tube.
    Get back to me with what you find. Regards, tom

Mar 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    Let me put it this way: do you hear a sound like continuosly running water (as if water is running slowly from the tank into the bowl)? Or do you hear a sound like bubbles or gurgles inside the pipes (kinda like the bubbling you might hear when you pull the stopper out of the bottom of a sink filled with water)?

Also, does this sound a) happen continously, b) go on for a while, then off for a while, then back on, etc. (and if yes, approximately how long is the duration of each cycle - how long is it on, then how long is it off) or c) does it happen randomly, and when it does, it does so in short, quick bursts?
    Hi PalmMP3,
    Thanks for responding. To answer your question, it sounds like continuously running water and it happens randomly for just a few seconds like a quick burst.

Mar 22, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Tom,

I will check tonight and get back to you tomorrow. I answered PalmMP3's question above. I don't know if that helps at all. Thank you for your help.
    Susan

Mar 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fitzpatrick
    I don't know if that helps at all.
    Sure it does - it verifies that Tom indeed guessed what you were talking about in the first half of his post - although the second half of his post is irrelevant (i.e. it's still good advice, but it's not what's causing your problem).

See, what's happening is that your flapper has a tiny leak somewhere, letting water out of the tank into the bowl. After it lets out a couple of ounces, the float ball (or whatever you have in your tank) realizes that the water level is below the desired amount, so it turns on the water supply, until the tank is full again. It then stays quiet until enough water has leaked out to trigger it again, and so on - that's why it keeps going on and off, instead of staying on the whole time. If the water would be running the whole time, then the second half of Tom's post would come into play - you would have to check if the float ball is adjusted too high up, allowing water to flow into the overflow tube.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
    Moishe

Mar 23, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Moishe,

You are so right! I checked the flapper last night and it was covered with all kinds of slim. I cleaned it off and it hasn't surged since. Thanks so much to you and Tom for responding to me. You are the best!

Susan Fitzpatrick
    Downingtown, PA

Mar 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
    No problem. That's what we're here for. ;)
    kelleean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 09:31 AM
    I am having this same "surging" issue with my toilet. My husband just replaced most of the inside parts and now it is doing this. I checked the seal inside to see if there was anything I could tell was letting water escape, but it was smooth, mostly because its new. Do you think it is faulty new parts? Every minute or two the toilet surges, or runs for about 2 seconds. It's annoying more than anything. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Kellee
    Fontana, California
    cvrider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
    it does happen randomly, and when it does, it does so in short, quick bursts, and it sounds like water running through the pipes, but it's associated with one particular toilet.

I've changed the flapper twice, and it's still doing it... ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Civic surging [ 1 Answers ]

Well I just put a different engine into my 91 civic dx I just swaped all of the bolt on thing distributer alt. the intake manafold and it starts but when it idels it surges really bad don't know what it is

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I started smelling sewage in my basement bathroom, and when I looked in the toilet, it had no water in it(none on the floor) It was used the previous day. When I flushed it, it seemed to be normal and stay at the correct level. I came back and checked about a half hour later and still seemed fine. ...

View more questions Search