Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xsiphaktoi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 12:27 AM
    Arizona Debt Court Summons
    My girlfriend just received a summons to court in Tucson, Arizona for a debt from a Target Credit Card. She owes about 4k, but doesn't have the money to pay it. She owes on a pair of other credit cards as well, and began a "legal debt management" service through http://www.theconsumerprotectionlawcenter1.com/. Collectors have still been calling her, though, which leads me to doubt what legal power they have.

The other two cards have been negotiating with the debt service, and she's been making payments to them, but Target refused to negotiate, and is taking her to court. What options does she have?
    dcanez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
    Hi - several things. First you need to find out what type of program your girlfriend is in... is it debt settlement or debt management? THese programs both fall under the consumer credit counseling service but work DIFFERENTLY. The name legal debt management doesn't mean they will provide legal representation unless it's a debt settlement program with an attorney model implemented. We are located in Scottsdale, Arizona and have both programs as a service & also have a settlement program w/attorney option. If she received a summons she has about 20 or 30 days to respond to the summons and/or try to negotiate something with the creditor now. She does NOT want to ignore the summons because then she will automatically default and basically the creditor can proceed in garnishing her wages and/or placing a lien on her properties (car, house etc) AND they can even attempt to wipe her bank accounts clean if they receive the courts OK. Now I am not an attorney, but I have been in this industry for 7 years. My best recommendation is to attempt to work it out now with the collector in negotiating the balance, but if she can't pay a sum up front chances are collectors won't want to negotiate the balance on a payment plan. So, she should look for a debtsettlement company that can provide an attorney locally here in Arizona. Check out www.primodebt.com & good luck! I hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a Sample response letter to the court for a debt summons [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone have any sample letters that I could use to respond to a debt summons from the county court? I have a law firm that is filing a judgement against me for a debt Which I am trying to pay off through a Consumer Debt Law Firm. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Court summons for debt collection [ 17 Answers ]

I live in Chicago, IL. Last night, while taking the dog out, a court summons was discovered in my front window... that's actually my first question, is that a legal way to deliver a summons? What if I hadn't seen it or it had blown away?! The summons is from a collection agency collecting on a...

Debt Court Summons -- If I pay in full, can I avoid court? [ 5 Answers ]

I realize a lot of people post questions regarding debt summons and I've scrolled through the boards but I haven't found a clear answer to a few of my queries. Here's what happened: I was today presented (they slid it under my door) with a summons to appear in court. I'm being sued by Capital One...

Court Summons for debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Today, I have been served by a court clerk who came to my home and gave me a letter stating that I have 20 days to file a response in court in regards to a credit card debt collection. I really don't know the agency but I am suspecting that one of the credit cards I have must sold the...

View more questions Search