Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsila1777 Posts: 138, Reputation: 18

Jun 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Car won't pass inspection, no title, no car, big loan
    #1 Report Inappropriate Post
    Yesterday, 03:54 PM
    jpt123svt vbmenu_register("postmenu_1114330", true);

I bought a car about a year ago. I got it financed they said the title was applied for. After a few days the car dealer said that the car had to be inspected because it had been wrecked. We did what he said and the car didn't pass. We can't get a tag for it which means we can't drive it. We have been trying to get him to either pay the loan off or get us another car. He keeps saying that he will fix it but it is still at a mechanic shop just sitting there. It's been sitting there for a couple of months. The guy will not pay to get it fixed or out of the shop. We found out after about 7 months that that car doesn't even have a clean title on it. He hasn't taken it again to get it inspected. He is not doing anything to fix the problem. We spoke to a lawyer and he keeps telling me to do things on my own. He did mention that we should file a couple of charges against him but I was upset when I spoke with him and have forgotten what they were called. One was for not having a title within 30 days and the other was for the 3000 dollars that we have already paid for a car that we couldn't drive. I was wondering if you could tell me the two charges and if there was anything else that I could do. Thanks. I live in Ga. I know I should get a new lawyer for one thing. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

(reposted because of piggyback)

tsila1777 Posts: 138, Reputation: 18

Jun 25, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Yes get a new lawyer... beyond that I have no idea. But I hope others on here will be able to help you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 05:19 PM
    You will have to sue him for any and all money you have paid him.
    You write him a registered letter demanding all of your money back.
    Then if under the amount allowed in small claims, take him to small claims court.

There is basically nothing you can do to get the car, only get your money back. ** also what inspection, beyond the emmission inspection in the metro atlanta area there is no auto inspection in GA.
    jpt123svt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 05:42 PM
    We tried to take it to small claims court and the judge said that we had to sue the car lot but he closed it down and moved so the judge said to sue the name on the contract but that was under the car lot and my husband and him got into a fuss over it cause the judge kept going back and forth between the car lot and the name on the contract. He told my husband that if he filed that it would probably be thrown out if he doesn't sue the right person.

As far as the inspection. The car has been totaled and we didn't know it when we got it and in order to get a clean title for it it has to pass inspection. We can't get a tag for it. We can't drive that car legally. There is no record of that car in the state of Ga at the tag office.

I spoke to a lawyer and he told me to press charges against him for not having the title ready within a month and also for us paying over 3000 for it but I can't remember the two charges he said for me to file against him. We also have a loan for that car and the lawyer said for us not to pay them anymore money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Lst all the names on the law suit, when in doubt sue everyone.
    And even if the car lot is closed down, unless it was a INC, who ever was the owner is still legally responsible.

The few law suits I have had to do, I always name everyone, from the salesperson, to the store manager, to the store owner and the company that made the product.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Adding my name to car title and loan [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is military and is leaving for Afghanistan soon. I have special power of attorney and regular power of attorney. How do I add my name to the car? We live in Tennessee and the car is from NY with everything through NY.

Loan not in my name-Want my name on the deed/title [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend and I are purchasing a home. He has filled out all of the loan paperwork and my name is not on any of it so he could get a better deal? He has an FHDA loan and when I called the lawyer earlier this week (I did not tell her what type of loan, because we did not know at that time)...

OBD II reading "Not Ready" - can't pass inspection [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I have a 1999 Saturn SL and live in NY. My car went for inspection about 10 days ago and couldn't do the emissions test because my on board diagnostic computer was "not ready" for 4 tests: Catalyst EGR Evap System O2 sensors I was told to "drive it for a while" or do a drive cycle...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search