Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin
    I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from the exterior french drain, which it does nicely.

Anyway, I understand how to dig the trench and angle the pipe, but I am unsure of two things:

1. What size pipe is normally used? 1.5"?
    2. How do I cut a hole in my plastic sump liner so that the drain fits in snugly? I assume that a hole cutting bit on my drill will do the trick, but I am worried about a leaky joint. Does it have to be sealed?

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Before you start this project you must check with your city building department. Floor drains are required to be plumbed to the sewer not the sump in many towns. If they say its OK you will ned to saw cut or jack hammer a trench that will allow a 1/4" per foot slope to the sump from the drain. I would use no less than 3" ABS or PVC for the drain. The actual drain can be untrapped if this goes to the sump so a simple 90 elbow many be sufficient. Back fill with sand and gravel to support the pipe and keep the slope before repouring you concrete floor.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Floor drains are required to be plumbed to the sewer not the sump in many towns.
    Bob could you have stated that backwards??

Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I would use no less than 3" ABS or PVC for the drain.

The way I am reading hommegrenouille's post is that the sump and foundation darin are already in, he's just putting in the floor drain.

You OK Bob?
    hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 12:21 PM
    That's right, sorry for any confusion. The exterior foundation drain and sump basin are already there. I want to add a floor drain and have it flow into the sump basin. I don't have any sewer connections in this part of the basement, only my sump. It's an old house (1943) with a more recent addition. The basement floor in the newer part goes about three feet deeper than it does under the original part of the house, where all the sewer connections are. My only realistic option is to discharge the drain into the sump.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 12:51 PM
    One and half inch pipe should be fine. Might want to go 2" to make it easier to snake should you have to. Don't worry about watertight connection at sump crock; any opening around pipe would just be another place for ground water to drain into sump. Bob's correct that no need to trap since there is no sewer gas. Some municipalities prohibit tying floor drains into sewer not the other way around.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Actually I stand by my first post, at least for the towns where I have been working. Flor drains here are required to be connect to the sewer lines and must be trapped. Water entering a floor drain is not foundation seepage but is frequently washer over flows and the like and are considered gray water. I don't know why that is but that's the code here, I just follow it. Curtain drains and french drains go to a sump and can not be connected to the sewer. I would still call the city builing department to check on your code. I had to have a second pit installed just for the floor drains and that pit pumps to the sewer. If you think this code is goofy you should see our Governor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Drain Backup as well as catch basin [ 8 Answers ]

I've looked through previous questions but have not seen anything pertinent to my problem. Last November we had our main sewer line rodded out as a preventative measure. They also cleaned out the catch basin. We had no problems with back ups etc. Now (in the dead of Chicago Winter) our...

Kitchen sink drain gurgles when basement sump pump runs [ 0 Answers ]

When the basement sump pump runs the drains in my kitchen gurgle loudly. The sump pump well is in the basement and is the discharge for the CWM. The pump also discharges water. The discharge pipe connects to the main sewer line to the septic tank. The kitchen is on the first floor one room away...

Sump Pump Collection Basin [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a French drain system in the backyard with 4" perforated pipe leading to an underground collection basin. I plan to have a sump pump pump the water to the front of the house. What is the best way to make the basin? Should I pour concrete, or use an actual plastic basin, or just...

Is trapped drain in basement an alternative to sump pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I have groundwater entering my basement during storms at one single point in the floor, and at no other place currently. It is earthen in the small area where the water enters. I can pinpoint the point of entrace with a pencil tip! The water drains down a worn channel about one foot in...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search