Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Benet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Finger food for a reception
    I need help estimating how much food to buy for my daughters wedding reception.
    We want cake, fruit, cheese, finger sandwiches, dips, etc.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
    So many things factor into that decision... particularly the time of day. Will people arrive expecting snacks or a meal? Also, remember that it is better to have several really good choices than many OK foods. The more the menu varies the more you will need/spend. People will want to try everything so, for example, if you offer 4 types of sandwich instead of 2 types you will have to buy twice as many sandwiches.

Same goes with beverages - offer limited but popular options. If you are serving beer pick 2 very different brands. If you are serving wine, offer 1 white and 1 red - not various kinds of white and red.

Is you cake coming from a bakery? Is it a "wedding cake"? Most wedding cakes are ordered in tiers, but paid for by the slice. Most bakers estimate a slice to be 3 inches thick which is more than anyone would ever eat.

I have a catering/event planning business and have lots of experience with this. If you provide me with more info - time of day, time of year, indoor or outdoor, number of guests, age range of guests - I would be happy to help you.

Jun 25, 2008, 03:38 PM
    The wedding is a 2p.m. A friend is making the cake. We will have a small cake with a number of sheet cakes in the kitchen that will be brought out to the table several at a time after the bride and groom cut the show cake. We want to have a sherbert punch, mixed nuts, cream cheese mints (also made by a friend), finger sandwiches (I heard that Walmart makes these, I would like to have fresh fruit and cheese, etc. I just don't know how to buy for 300.

Jun 26, 2008, 06:00 AM
    More info on the wedding reception for jjwoodhull
    We expect around 300 guest to a wedding reception. We plan to serve a sherbert punch
    Cake ( being made by a friend ) cream cheese mints ( also being made by a friend ), nuts
    Fruit, cheese and crackers, finger sandwiches ( Wal-mart, I was told cateres these) but I do not know how to estimate the amount to buy. Can you help with this? Wedding is 9/13/08 @ 2:00p Thanks
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 26, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Wow! 300 people. You are going to be exhausted! ;)

I would suggest calling catering companies, and ask if they have any suggestions for such a large crowd. Most, if they want to give good customer service, will give you some tips on this.

Check out this link I found.

Ask an Expert

Good Luck, and get lots of rest... you'll need it! ;)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you - I'm having a crazy week. I will get back to you with some suggestions in the next few days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finger food for 12 month old baby [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 month old baby boy who used to eat food off a spoon with no worries but two days ago and mind you its only when it comes to dinner he will not eat off a spoon but for breakfast and lunch he will eat off a spoon anyway that's not what's bugging me it just that I don't really no what I...

Cheap finger food for 30 people? [ 7 Answers ]

Where can I go and get cheap finger food for 30 people? Publix? Kroger? El Pollo Loco? Jimmy Johns? I do not want to spend more than $75.00 Any kind of food will do.

Reception [ 6 Answers ]

If you are married already, but you want to now have a reception to celebrate your wedding, does the bride have flower girls and a maid of honour?

View more questions Search