Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    universe Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Mystery debris
    Under my kitchen counter in the pull out shelf there is a small pile of powdery debris. I clean it up and in a few weeks it is back. This has been going on for years. Nothing is falling off sides of shelf and there are no openings to shelf.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Perhaps termites? These are really annoying pests and can mostly efficiently get rid of it by replacing the furniture
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 25, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Is the shelf rubbing on the bottom of the countertop or the sides of the cabinet? Might be something like sawdust from that, there should be signs of it if you look around the area.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Check the 'dust' carefully to see if it contains any insect body pieces. That would be the case if it's ants (the 'dust' is called frass and is a result of 'housecleaning'). Check the shelf and above the 'dust' for small holes. This could indicate a wood burrowing insect like one of the many powderpost beetle species (for a link on them, see my answer to the question about something eating furniture posted this week).

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008
    Perhaps termites?? These are really annoying pests and can mostly efficiently get rid of it by replacing the furniture
    There is no type of termite that can be gotten rid of by replacing the furniture, unless that's where the queen has taken up residence - and that's only for drywood termites.
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Take a sample into your local Orkin or Terminex office if your around Chicago or Indiana or Michigan Rose pest mgmt . If not try looking under a large magnifying glass.
    look for insect pieces. Its common for carpenter ants to leave a saw dust like pile near a colony. Check with a moisture meter for value of 19% or greater moisture in wall behind cupboard. If identified as carpenter ant or other wood destroying insect call above companies for an inspection.

if you decide to choose another not listed above contact you state agriculture or environment office for licenced and approved companies dealing with wood destroying insects. Or look for a national pest mgmt association member.

if in doubt insist on a sample of intact insect from your home before any work is done and store frozen in a container for a period of not less then 2 years if reinfestation occurs and they fail to honour warranty/guaranty you can prove that they failed to eliminate original problem via insect dna
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 02:18 AM
    ^^ My first supposition was that the queen was in that furniture. 'Cause if this was the first time that universe saw these debris, it is most likely that the queen has made its nest there... And, WVHiflyer, I'm most familiar with drywood termites that's why I said so, though I didn't know any other types of termites making their nests in wood...
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 27, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Unknown - sorry to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. But I thought too many might have misinterpreted...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mystery bug? [ 10 Answers ]

This bug/bird/insect has been flying around our butterfly bushes for the past few weeks. Any ideas on what it could be. We are stumped because it appears to be a hummingbird/butterfly type specie but up close it looks like a lobster! We would love some insight. :confused:

Supply Line Debris Repeatedly Clogs Valves [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ground floor condo apartment in a 1960s-era, four-story building that is part of a multi-building complex. It appears that debris from the aging plumbing is settling into the stop valves and faucets in my unit. First the faucets won't turn off completely, and then the stop valves can't...

Some debris fell in water main to house - Well water [ 5 Answers ]

I have a well, which I was installing a pressure gauge on. All was going fine until some crud fell into the pipe leading to the house. More specifically, it was a thin piece of concrete about the size of half a credit card. It was flat and thin, and very brittle. After unsuccessfully trying...

Debris in washer after cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished a load of wash in my washer. There is debris along the top of the washer Barrel. What could that indicate? The clothes weren't full of debris when I put them in.

Mystery bug [ 4 Answers ]

We have a bug that keeps showing up. I have searched bug sites but I cannot figure out what it is, or where they are coming from, or how to get rid of them They are 6 legged, cream/tan, with antenna. They are about a 1/2 inch long and usually just sit on the wall or ceiling, but they can go pretty...

View more questions Search