Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2goody Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 03:10 AM
    Thyroid as per the doc
    :confused:

Hi

I am 25 yrs old and I got married last yr.
    My weight was in the range of 45-50 when I got married but all of a sudden I started putting on weight after I got married - is it because that I stopped working and my activities have been cut down.
    Th doc says that I'm putting on because of the thyroid and I'm taking the tablets named as euthyrox to increase the thyroid level in my body.
    But I also go for walking but what happens is I'm free rest of the day and no work at home is as energy consuming and I also have cut down on my diet when compared to what I was eating initially.

My weight is 60kg since 5-6 months (is it because of the tablet)
    I had good figure and a proper shape of my body and I lost as I have accumulated weight on my thighs tummy and also my buttocks.
    Please suggest me.. .
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Okay, so apparently you have hypothyroidism. Which means your thyroid is slow acting, which in turn means you have a low metabolism rate.

One of the side effects of euthyrox/synthroid/levothyroxine is an increased appetite, which will, in turn, increase your weight.

Are you on any other medications? Do you have your thyroid levels monitored regularly?

Jun 25, 2008, 08:50 PM
    :(
    Hi Health expert

But this is the tab which the doc has prescirbed here in singapore
    And apart form that yes I regularly get my thyroid levels checked and get the blood test done as well.
    As per the reports this time the test reveals that the TSH level is 0.846 and the Free T4 level is 1.18 and lastly the T3 level is 2.71 which should actually be between 1.60-2.60
    Now since the t3 level is a little more than the noraml range the doc ahs told me to to the tablet every alternate day and not everyday and as per is instruction I take the tablet in the morning after the breakfast.
    mooviequeen13 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2008, 08:56 PM
    I feel your confusion. I have hyperthyroidism. I'm currently losing 3 pounds a week. I was losing 3 a day until I started the meds. I have lost a total of 56 pounds. It is very scary and it has made my body sag in very unapealing ways. Until they decide the cause for this, all I can do is take the meds and hope I don't disappear before the get to the cause. Also, I look like I have an adam's apple now. I get teased a lot from family. They just can't see it hurts. I hope your husband is as understanding as mine and there for your support.

Jun 25, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Oh yes I can understand your condition - losing aROUND 56 POUNDS IS really astonisihing but why don you consult a oc who can help to increase your metabolism rate and increase your weight as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if levothyroxine comes from pig, or is it 100% natural.

Soy and thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Do soy products interfere with thyroid medication and functioning? If so, did prior use of soy cause irreversible damage?

Thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you so much for you info on tumor removel , I have one question , My mother inlaw has a tumor on her thyroid non-cancerous type . Im trying to find info on just removeing the tumor none of the lobe or thyroid at all is there a possible surgery out there . Rita J

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for anybody out there that can help , I have a tumor on my thyroid and they want to remove my whole thyroid it is on my left side , my question is , there a surgery that can remove the tumor but not the whole thyroid. Thank You Rita Litwin

View more questions Search