Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevbremer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 01:24 AM
    Is This a HIPPA violation
    My Father recently passed away after an industrial accident and being hospitalized for four months. We requested and had to pay for an autopsy. We got the preliminary autopsy results and as I was reading them felt there was something wrong. I then looked again at the first part of the page and saw that this report was from a man who was not my father. I called the medical center that we paid to do the autopsy and the lady I talked to emediatly knew how and when this happened and informed me to destroy the report that I have in my hands, and said I would receive the correct one with in a couple days. I am also wondering if my fathers autopsy report was also sent to the wrong people being that I got the wrong one. If this is what do I do about it. Do we have any recourse. One other question the hospital that he was first in the nurses gave report about each patient in the patients room 4-6 patients per room with family members sitting in the rooms and being able to hear what was said about each patient. What can be done. Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Your situation falls into a very gray area. Sometimes reports are sent to the wrong people/facility. Was there any harm done? No, not really. You were asked to destroy the report, and I hope you did so.

As to whether your father's report was sent to another person(s) we will never know.

Now, as for the nurses giving report with 4-6 patients in the room. This is a fairly common practice called "walking rounds." Again, it falls into a gray area depending on the policies of the particular facility. "Walking rounds" is being phased out in a number of facilities, but being brought back in larger facilities as it is a time efficient way of rounding so that the nurses have adequate amount of time to begin treating patients after shift change.

What you can do is bring your concerns to the administration of the facility in question and find out what their policies are regarding these particular situations.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2008, 05:52 AM
    I agree with J_9. The most important issue is how were you harmed? Why do you think its necessary to pursue this?

Even if there was a HIPAA violation, the most that would happen is the institution would be censured and maybe fined. HIPAA violations do not usually involve any payout to the wronged parties.
    ALICESAM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I am not looking for "payout". I would hate to see anyone else go through what I did. How was I harmed-how would you like to be strapped down on a gurney-over a bruis knee, slammed onto a wooden backed board and have a needle jammed in your spinal

Jun 25, 2008, 08:57 AM
    This obviously inexperienced ER doctor put me through agony based on info he obtained from my 44 yr old daughter. What right did he have to discuss my personal health info with her and then take inappropriate actions that embarrassed me (stripped naked in front of 5 people) and put through tests that caused me great pain, followed by forcibly admitting me to the hospital overnight. I don't want to see anyone be so mistreated, I would like to see the ER staff retrained in these matters, and I am darned mad that I now have a huge bill to pay-even though I repeatedly ask them to stop-at all stages of the actions.

Jun 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Well, I guess this site isn't what I thought. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ALICESAM
    Well, I guess this site isn't what I thought. thank you
    Excuse me? Who are you and what are you talking about? This thread was started by someone using the screen name kevbremer. His question was about his father passing away as a result of an accident.

Now you come along talking about your daughter and an ER?? Why are you posting in someone else's thread, this only confuses matters. If you need help, you need to open your own thread and explain what you need help with.
    kevbremer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Thanks J_9 it has been 12 years since I worked in the health care field and I know lots of things have changed. I spent two years a respiratory therapist and ten as a paramedic. I worked at a fairly large hosp and all reports were recorded in a private room and when the next shift came on they would play their reports. We were constantly being told to be careful about discussing pts conditions in the hall ways. It was a big no no. I am not looking for any type of pay out I just wanted to know where this fell before I expanded a bunch of time and energy on something that is now comman practice. Once again thanks for your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is it HIPPA violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I had patient data stored for research purposes. I lost it somewhere, cannot find it. Is this a HIPPA violation? What do I need to do? Should I report this to someone?

HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

Before I explain, I'm pretty sure this is a definite HIPPA violation but when I went to my manager he shrugged it off. First of all, I work as an x-ray tech. I and others I work with have witnessed our dark room assistant in our waiting areas discussing with patients why they are there, their...

Hippa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

As a supervisor in Texas I recently had an employee call in. while speaking to another employee about getting coverage I was asked if he had the flu since we had so many people call in with that. I said no he has... I thought nothing of it since it wasn't something embarrassing. Now I am being...

Hippa violation [ 27 Answers ]

My husband did painting for our dentist. It was agreed verbally under the table. No written contract. We received a 1099 for work. Dentist said his accountant saw checks written and sent 1099. Because there was no contract, the dentist would have had to go in my husband's medical file for his...

View more questions Search