Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    too nice a mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 01:20 AM
    When can you file for abandonment in Georgia?
    I have had an open case with ocss for over a year and nothing has happened. We know where he works, makes good money. He is $60K + in the rears, I mean what's a girl got to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by too nice a mom
    I have had an open case with ocss for over a year and nothing has happened. We know where he works, makes good money. He is $60K + in the rears, I mean what's a girl gotta do?

You get an Attorney on it and hold him in contempt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2008, 06:00 AM
    First of all what do you think abandonment does for you? What does OCSS say about why they aren't garnishing his salary?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. Check this: "(c) The offense of abandonment is a continuing offense. Except as provided in subsection (i) of this Code section, former acquittal or conviction of the offense shall not be a bar to further prosecution therefor under this Code section, if it is made to appear that the child in question was in a dependent condition, as defined in this Code section, for a period of 30 days prior to the commencement of prosecution." See: Child abandonment in Georgia; what does it mean? The criminal side, "Criminal Non-Support (Abandonment Warrant) Child abandonment is a misdemeanor offense in Georgia with a penalty of a $1,000 fine or up to 12 months in prison, when a parent has failed to provide sufficient food clothing, or shelter for the needs of the child for 30 days. (O.C.G.A sec. 19-10-1)."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file for abandonment in ny [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am from upstate, ny. I am trying to find out how to file for abandonment against my sons father. I have full custody and he has visitation two days a week however he has not seen his son or paid child support in over 3 yrs. I now have an order or protection against him regarding death...

How do I file for child abandonment and when can I file? [ 15 Answers ]

My daughters father has not seen her for over a year and he just left without telling me he was leaving. I do have a child support order and I have full custody of her. Im just afraid that he will try to take her away from me later in life and I don't want her to go through that because Im with a...

Abandonment in Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

I have a family member recently arrested in SC and taken back to Georgia for Child Abandonment. His ex has refused to let himsee the child so therefore he would not pay his support we have emails stating for him not to call her house her son his son does not live there. In jail now for 1 month no...

Is this child abandonment and if yes, how do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 5 yrs old and his real father has never paid child support and has not made any kind of attempt to be in his life. We signed child support papers in dec 04 and he dropped off the face of the earth after that. I have not heard a single word from him nor have I seen a check. I am married...

When and How do I file Child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Melanie Simpson I live in Washington State Spokane County and I have a one year old daughter with my ex-boyfriend who has not seen her since she was a month old. HE says he will sign his rights over to me for her but than he falls off the face of the earth for almost a year and now since...

View more questions Search