Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Pee Pee Smell
    How in the world do I get rid of the dog pee smell in my carpets? I used the spray at the pet store, I shampooed the carpets and neither has worked... She's going in the same spots as before... what's the deal?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:48 PM
    One word, vinegar, really, it works. Put it on full strength, let it sit for around 5 minutes, then pat dry with a towel. Then pour water, and re-dab. Works every time. :)
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
    I don't know exactly where her spots are... Would it be efficient to shampoo he carpet with vinegar? If so, what type of solution??
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I wouldn't put vinegar in a carpet cleaner vaccuum, I don't know what would happen.

You could wash the entire rug (if it's a small area rug) in the washing machine with vinegar. Or, and this is gross, get down and sniff, you'll find the spots. Ew! :)

White vinegar works best, and the smell will deter her from going there again. :)

Sorry I couldn't help more, hope this helps a bit. :)
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Nope, it's not a rug, it's the carpet that's attached to the floor... in an apartment... I'll try the vinegar though. Thanks.
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Sorry sweetie, guess you'll be doing the sniff test. ;)

Good luck. :)
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I like Simple Solution better than Nature's Miracle. A black light will help you find where the urine is. Some pet markets have them for rent or small ones to buy. Don't spray - sprinlke it on, a watering can works great. You can put a sheet of foil (with holes) over the area until it's dry. The smell doesn't go away completely until it's fully dry. Do all you can to keep the dog away until then. I have a friend who kept the dog's food dish on the spot while it was drying. She swears no dog will pee on their dish.
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 09:07 PM
    What's Simple Solution and what's Nature's Miracle? And who sells them?
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
    They are both enzyme pet odor removers. You can find them at Pet Supermarket, Petsmart or most any pet store.
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 09:11 PM
    I've tried just about every "pet odor remover" they might as well be water... I think I will try vinegar...
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 25, 2008, 12:52 AM
    The problem is, the pee pee goes through the carpet and absorbs in to the wood under it... but the vinegar is strong enough to hopefully mask her scent...
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 08:06 AM
    If you haven't tried Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution, I would give one of those a try. And really soak the areas that she's been going... you need to soak through the carpet, into the pad, and potentially into the wood itself. And it may take a few days for the smell to entirely go away.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 25, 2008, 10:56 AM
    How about febreeze or resolve? Did you try those?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 25, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I forgot to include borax they say this really takes out the smell, that is if the vinnegar doesn't work.
    Vision Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I will try the vinegar. Sounds reasonable enough. Febreeze and Resolve are not pet odor removal products.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/ [ 16 Answers ]

How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search