Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Dachshound front leg problems
    My 7 mo old dachshound's legs have been bowing out looking like the legs coming out of joint. Long story made short - I could tell she was very uncomfortable and in pain at times and I had to take her to an orthopedic. The diagnosis is that her bone in the front legs that connect to the elbow stopped growing and is not attached to the elbow. One leg is much worse than other. Vet says she needs surgery where they cut the bone and put fat in the middle to move the bone up to the elbow hinge. There is no guarantee that this will work but only chance to get the leg normal. Has anyone ever had this with a pet or know any alternatives. I am having a very difficult time with my decision to have the surgery. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 04:48 PM
    There are some other people here with Dachshunds and I hope they answer if they know anything about similar problems. You are facing a very difficult decision, and I wish I could help. About the best I can do is suggest switching to adult chow to slow her growth, and keep her lean to reduce stress on her legs and her back.

I don't like to see links to doubtful advice elsewhere when somebody here can give a good answer. However yours is a very specialized question. You might try going to www.akc.org, then Dachshunds and see if you can find a forum specific to them.
    tinacasler Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2006, 05:20 PM
    I know nothing of front leg problems... if you find out any good information let me know in case it happens to my puppy and if I find anything I will for sure let you know.. good luck...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Hi, jen,
    It's a difficult decision, just as in humans who are told that surgery might, or might not help.
    I would definitely get a second opinion from another Vet.
    In that way, if you get two of the same opinions, then you know they agree.
    To do the surgery will be up to you. If I thought there was a chance for a better life for my dog, I would probably have it done; if there is no risk it would be worse.
    It's your decision, and I do wish you and she the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 10 year ols son front tooth has not come in yet? [ 3 Answers ]

Our 10 year old had his baby tooth pulled at age 8 1/2 because there was another tooth behind it. The permanent tooth was above the second tooth. However it has not appeared yet. We have had x rays done twice since the extraction, and they say the tooth is moving down, but we still see no sign...

New front doors [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to replace the front doors and hinges without replacing the entire door casing? We are interested in replacing the front doors and are looking for an inexpensive way of doing it. :confused:

Water in front yard [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought an old home,and after putting in new copper plumbing I noticed a wet spot on front lawn in the area of my 3/4 inch galvanized feed.I want to know if I can repair this feed,without calling a contractor?Is there a pipe patch available that I could wrap around old pipe?There is a curb-stop...

Front walkway [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about adding a front walkway, from the sidewalk, straight up through my lawn to my front door. ( Presently, you must walk up the driveway, then left along a walkway to the front door) Question. My front lawn slopes down exactly 25" from from the bottom landing of the front door...

Front walkway [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about adding a front walkway, from the sidewalk, straight up through my lawn to my front door. ( Presently, you must walk up the driveway, then left along a walkway to the front door) Question. My front lawn slopes down exactly 25" from from the bottom landing of the front door...

View more questions Search