Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljcurtis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Chipped bone, arthritis in dogs
    My dog has a chipped bone in her knee and arthritis. She is only 5 years old. The vet said she has to have the bone removed, which is costly. Is that our only recourse? Can a chipped bone be dissolved?
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
    It depends on the breed of dog, for example extremely large breeds have a harder time mending their bones, as do smaller dogs, such as lap dogs or tiny breeds. If the dog is above 100 pounds or below fifteen, then you need to have the surgery to prevent future problems.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 24, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Bone is not going to dissolve. Sometimes it will reattach (like ends of a broken bone), but that's not likely to happen in a joint that is constantly moving. Since it has already caused arthritis, it should be removed. She is also at higher risk for damage to the other leg because she puts more weight on the side that doesn't hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chipped tooth leads to crown possible root canal [ 1 Answers ]

I recently chipped one of my bottom back molars. The tooth had a very large filling. However, it seemed like the dentist really 'went to town' on the drilling. A week later I still had pain and got a prescription. My new crown is in with temporary cement to "see if the pain goes away," and I'm told...

Is it pulled muscle or chipped bone, or what? [ 2 Answers ]

I fell on some ice about 6 weeks ago. My right arm is what I landed on. It still hurts. It hurts to do simple things like holding my steering wheel,grabbing things like my pop bottle, it hurts just to move it especially when I move my thumb. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your time.

Arthritis & hep-c [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help! Have suffered with severe rumatic symptoms for 5yrs, also have hep-c, have had liver byopsy which returned with no immediate danger or sign of cirroesis... treatment deferred for 5yrs due to this finding. Still suffering the severe symptoms of rumatoid arthritis and are being...

Chipped tooth [ 5 Answers ]

Recently (today) I chipped the side of a lower molar (think that's what it is called) that is two teeth from back on the bottom left... This tooth has had one of those old school (gray/silver) fillings in it for about 15 years or so... The filling didn't chip, but the tooth on the outter edge...

View more questions Search