Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITIN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
    ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return.
    Hi,

I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant).

I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I received the Rejection letter saying I did not attach any Tax filing with it. I have already got return of the Tax filed in April 2008, now I want to get my wife's ITIN so that I can claim her as dependent and file for amended return. My question is:

1. Should I send IRS the new application for ITIN with my amended Tax return file or should I first send a copy of my April 2008 return with her application and wait for ITIN to arrive and then file for amended return.

2. Will I have to pay any penalty or interest on the amended return filing.

Thanks,
    I
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
    H-4 holders are not allowed to work in US, so if she wants to have ITIN, she must submit evidence of income that needs to file tax... in this case, better have an attorney handle this matter with the IRS. You would not want to do it yourself...

mikedoug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Hi,

I've been in the same situation.
    Forget the attorney. Anyone who can be claimed as a dependent on your tax return can
    Get an ITIN. Just make sure you include an amended or new (not previously filed) tax return
    With the form. Since you now have a dependent who doesn't make any money you will
    Significantly reduce your tax and you will get a refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN rejected for dependent [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes. Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007...

TN Visa, married need ITIN to file return [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Here is my scenario: 1) I am working in US under TN Visa and I have SSN 2) Got married in Canada in November, 2007 3) My wife lives in Canada and she was never in US

Amended tax return [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find the status of my amended tax return for 2007?

File Amended Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. I later found out that the efiling service I used does not have 1040 NR. Can I efile 1040X and 1040NR through another site? Is it possible to mail in the amended forms, or should I efile it because I efiled 1040EZ? Thanks in advance.

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

View more questions Search