Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hansond Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Making A Dvd
    Hi. I have two hours of digital videotape on 8 mm Hi8 tape that I want to put on a DVD along with some still photos and music. I know there is software to help do this, but I don't know how to get from videotape to DVD. I don't know what hardware is needed, nor do I know which software is best. I use Windows XP OS. Can someone help me with information or direct me? Thanks,
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Step 1 is to get the data off the Hi8 tape and onto your computer. Once you do that the options are plenty as to how to create a DVD out of it. So to get it onto your computer you should look at the camcorder to see if it has a DV or 1394 port on it (they're the same thing). Since you have WinXP chances are as soon as you plug your camcorder to the computer XP will recognize the camcorder and allow you to download any videos on the camcorder. You'll need a Firewire port also on your computer to do that. Some Camcorders also have USB2 capability. If you don't have a Firewire port (AKA DV port or 1394 port) then you may need to run down to your local computer store and purchase a 1394 PCI card.

Once you get the image off the camcorder and onto the computer you can then use Windows Media Player 9 or 10 to manipulate your compilation and then burn onto a DVD.

I have a camcorder that's Digital8 which also does Hi8 and has a DV port. I also have a 1394 port on my computer which then allows me to capture from tape and control the camcorder from Windows XP. You have the option then to capture images in AVI or MPEG format. AVI will be huge (if it is raw) but allows you to have the least loss when you put the video in its final form.

So what kind of camcorder do you have?

Casey

Mar 19, 2006, 10:05 PM
    It is a Sony DCR-TRV103 NTSC, about 8 years old.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
    You have the exact model that I have. Your camcorder is Digital8. If you look at the front of the camcorder facing the lens the DV port is at the bottom left. Sony may have labeled it iLINK. It is the same thing as 1394, Firewire, or DV port.

So now all you need is a 1394 port on your computer like one of those:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=73

You'll of course need a firewire cable if you don't already have one. Once you have those then you should be able to connect your camcorder to your computer and your Windows XP should then recognize your camcorder. You'll be able to control your camcorder from your computer at that point and copy whatever is on the 8mm tape to your computer as either AVI or MPEG format files.

Casey

Mar 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Thank you very much. I'll check it out and let you know what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making Out [ 19 Answers ]

Im 13, and Im probably the only one in here over the age of 12 that hasnt made out with anyone. My boyfriend is 15, so hes been thru that, so he wants to make out with me, but everytime he tries, I back away, because I dont know what to do! Can anyone help me here? :confused:

Making Money Using The Net [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for ways to make money using the internet. I can navigate on a level of 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. I can find people on the net. I can research and find most information on the net. Therefore, please give me advice on which businesses are legitimate and don't cost much to start. My...

Ex girlfriend making me want to end it all [ 24 Answers ]

I've never done something like this - post on an internet message board, but I need help. I'm more depressed then anything and I just don't want to bother with life anymore. I know its my ex causing it but I just can't see past that. She is killing me. I was with her for almost 2 years. Its been...

Making vcd [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got some movies in my hard disk but I want to watch them on my t.v wth my family Is there is any software by which I can burn the movie on the cd-rom and watch it on my vcd/dvd player Please help

View more questions Search