Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mad33712 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Ceiling fan wiring not producing enough "juice"
    I had an existing light in the den which I wanted to replace with a Hampton Bay fan with light kit. Ceiling wiring was ground, black, white, and a second black connected to a red (which I thought was for one of the two wall switches already installed). I've tried several configurations, and while I can almost always get power for the fan (the light is no problem) it never seems to generate enough juice to actually turn the fan unless I give it a nudge, and even then it's slow. I also discovered that the red wire apparently works a wall receptacle, controlled by the wall switch, so I'm guessing that won't have any impact on the fan. I'm fine with just one switch for the fan, which would be used to turn on the light, and I can turn on the fan motor with the pull cord when needed. What is going to make that work? Thanks.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
    How was the ceiling light wired?

AND, is it on a regular wall switch?

Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I tired a few wiring methods. First and most simple was blue & black from the fan to black in the ceiling, white to white, green to ground. I left the red and black that were already joined together in the ceiling alone. That leaves one switch on the wall for a receptacle and one switch for the fan & light unit (using a pull chain for the fan). Got power, but not enough. I tried blue to red & black, but that gave me constant power. I'm fine with just the one regular wall switch (has a black and red line out), I just need enough power to turn the blades on demand. Could the problem be the capacitor and not the wiring?

Jun 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
    I re-read your response and saw you were asking about the original light. It just had a black, white & ground, each of which matched to a corresponding color in the ceiling. The black and red pair were already connected in the ceiling and weren't used by the light.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Wire the fan the same way the existing light was wired, connecting the fans black AND blue to the wire that the light's black connected to. The fan and life should both work, report back.

Jun 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
    That's actually the way I first tried it, but I went back and did it again anyway, exactly as the light was in. I still don't get enough power to turn the fan. You can hear it try, it even moves slightly, but won't just go on its own. The light works fine from the wall switch, and I have constant power at the wall receptacle (which I need for phone and computer), but pulling the chain to start the fan just gets a little hum and no real movement.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 12:29 PM
    I would check the voltage at the black wire in the ceiling. Connect the common wires together in the ceiling box. Run the hot from the ceiling to the switch box to make the loop. Return the wire from each switch to the fan and light. I would try the fan by itself first, without wiring in the light and see what happens. Check the voltage at the fan. There may be a bad capacitor.

That is only what I would do. Be careful, electricity can be dangerous.
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mad33712
    That's actually the way I first tried it, but I went back and did it again anyway, exactly as the light was in. I still don't get enough power to turn the fan. You can hear it try, it even moves slightly, but won't just go on its own. The light works fine from the wall switch, and I have constant power at the wall receptacle (which I need for phone and computer), but pulling the chain to start the fan just gets a little hum and no real movement.
    Sounds like something wrong with the fan. Before you return it, make sure the reverse switch is firmly in the up or down position.

Jul 1, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies and help. I'll take it back and maybe have better luck with another one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze 69" Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze 69" (twin blades) ceiling fan and am having problems with the wiring. I have black, red, white, and green from the ceiling box and black, white, and blue to the ceiling fan. The remote transmitter has black and white on the inbound side and black, white, and blue...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Wiring "in duct" fans to main blower circuit ? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I have a self contained heating/air unit mounted outside the house. Everything runs fine but was getting hot and cold spots inside. Mounted two in duct fans to"push" the air to all registers evenly. I want to wire it to the unit blower so they all come on at the same time. At the unit...

Changing wiring to use "second line" rather than "first" line on specific jack [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, and thanks! I have two phone lines (telephone numbers) coming into the house. I want to change a particular jack from one line to the other (exclusively for a fax). The current jack has a pair of tan wires going to "black (heavier wire and screw)", a pair of blue wires going to "red", a pair...

Tstat wiring - dual transformer, 1 "R" connection [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dual transformer system - one for heat, one for cool. The Thermostat I'm replacing has an Rc and an Rh connection. The new Thermostat has a single R connection. The transformers are in phase With each other, however, the heat one puts out 24vac, while the Cooling one is at 26.7vac. Can...

View more questions Search