Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulmbond Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Principles of cooking
    I want to start cooking (I will use a microwave). I will follow recipites but I also want to know why things happen, e.g.. What function does fat have in cooking (not talking about fat as the heating medium), what function does sugar have or eggs. Where do I find not just how to make a tasty dish but what is happening when I cook.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 11:29 AM
    I certainly do not recommend using the microwave as your cooking medium if you want to learn how to cook. What you seem to want to know is the science behing cooking. Here are a few links:
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/354...lance&n=283155

Mar 20, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Thanks. Not surprised at your attitude to microwave but can you also help there? I can find about dry heat and wet and other via traditional cooking systems but just how does the microwave system relate to these?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
    Here's how a microwave oven works.
    As NeedKarma suggested a microwave isn't really designed with the whole range of cooking styles in mind.
    It's great for simply heating things up but for everything else you really need a direct heat source, like a stove.

Mar 20, 2006, 05:57 AM
    I know I'm talking to expert, traditional and professional cooks but be kind to me and tell me why, if microwave is only for heating, are there dozens of microwave cook books with every sort of recipe under the sun (well I'm sure not quite but enough anyway)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Please review the link I posted as this will offer a better understanding to the whole microwave cooking idea.

Basically a microwave doesn't have the controlability of more traditional cooking mediums.
    If you want something heated in a completely uniform manner then it's great, but for more adventurous cooking then this method just won't do.
    To give an example;
    Do you like crispy bacon, crunchy fresh bread or baked Alaska, then a microwave isn't for you as these need more controlable heating methods, i.e. traditional.
    If you want to experiment with the vast number of microwave cookery books that are available then go for it, but you will find them very limiting very quickly.

Something to try with a microwave:- A stir fry ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Hi,
    As you probably know, a microwave "heats" by heating the moisture in anything; that's what makes it hot.
    There are many, many good cookbooks for a microwave. The only way to learn is to jump right in there, and start cooking. The microwave's actions on "normal cooking", i.e. the chemistry, is the same. When you view some of the links given by others about the chemistry of cooking and what happens to sugar, oil, why it's there; it will still be true for the microwave.
    The best way to learn is from experience; use your microwave. Then if you get really curious about what it would taste like "normal cooking", cook it the normal way, using a recipe for the electric oven. I do wish you the best, and good luck. Have fun with cooking... it's great!
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2006, 06:36 AM
    The reason all those cookbooks exist is that the american lifestyle is now largely based on doing things fast and easy. The way I learned to enjoy cooking was to select a recipe that looked interesting in its complexity then plan for it: shopping for ingredients, making sure I read the recipe entirely several times, make sure I have the correct tools, etc. Then plan some time for the cooking. When I had nothing going on on a Saturday night I would try a recipe that included some marinating, then I'd crack a bottle of wine at 5 pm and take my time and simply enjoy the process of cooking. Believe me, this acquired skill raised my stock amongst the women I dated at the time. :)

Mar 20, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Thanks. As your'e replying on my wavelength(!) can I ask how in any given microwave one can tell what is the correct time at which coagulation, gelatinization, caramelization and evaporation will take place. Conventionally I think the processes occur at a given temperature so I am asking how one can tell what are the equivalent temperatures.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Good one about the wavelength :). I'm going to go on a limb here and say that you cannot predict any of those events with a microwave. Some of those processes occur more successfully if stirring is involved. Can caramelization even occur in a microwave without having a hot spot that would ruin it? Microwave do not cook as evenly as a stovetop element or open flame and hot spots are always a problem. There is an inherent lack of control when using a microwave to cook. I basically use the microwave as a reheater (ex.: already cooked chicken) or a melter (ex.: butter for pastry, pancake mix) but not as the main source of heat for an entrée.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 21, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Keep in mind that with a microwave, you are pretty much limited to the boiling point of water as the microwaves excite the water molecules and they in turn heat the surrounding food. (hmm, sounds kind of fun... )

There are some caveats though. In super smooth containers (a brand new glass, etc) the water will actually get super heated and will not boil. This is due to there not being any rough surface (essentially microscopic scratches) that allow bubbles to form. Then, when you insert a spoon, your finger etc, the water erupts in a massive explosion.

Another caveat is browning mats. These are used to capture the energy and create hot zones. Microwave Pizzas are a good example of this.

As others have pointed out, Microwaves are great for re-heating things. Or thawing things. Or melting. But for cooking? I will stick to fire.

As for determining when things carmelize, coagulate, etc. they are dependent on the moisture content of the item. And, as eggs, bacon, etc are natural products, the moisture content between two similar items can vary.

But, don't let our opinions sway you from learning to cook via the micowave. There may be a future cook book author in the near future.

Good luck, and ENJOY your trials.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
    For great discussions on how things cook, and why things cook, look up a man called Alton Brown. He does FoodTV shows that talk about the science behind cooking. He also has very entertaining cookbooks available. Check your local library.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Principles of Finance [ 3 Answers ]

You read in the Wall Street Journal that 30-day T-bills currently are yielding 8 percent. Your brother-in-law, a broker at Kyoto Securities, has given you the following estimates of current interest rate premiums: Inflation premium 5% Liquidity premium 1% Maturity risk premium 2% Default risk...

Diabetic cooking [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and am trying to cook healthy meals. Does anyone have any recipies for good vegetable dishes. I am trying not to use starchy vegetables. My Doctor said vegetables were free for me to eat so I can have more of them if they are not the starchy kind! Yumm...

Help withamerican cooking [ 7 Answers ]

I am a desperate ex pat.. now living in Florida and I have always used my british bero recipe book in England and always had great results. Now after living in the states for a year and a half , NONE of my cakes rise and my yorkshire puddings are a disaster. Is the flour different here... is the...

View more questions Search