Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobo2770 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Fishy smelling dishes
    I live in an apartment that has an old Whirlpool dishwasher. The problem we've discovered over the last few months is that after the dishes are finished washing everything seems OK BUT... once you add any kind of liquid in the glasses or dishes you get hit with a very strong fish smell.

I read a thread here where a person was having problems with a fish smell coming from his dishwasher but that isn't my problem. There is no residual fish smell at all coming from the dishwasher. There isn't a fishy smell coming from anything else in the apartment like the clothes washer or the shower. And we only smell it AFTER we put liquid in the dishes.

I thought maybe the problem was in the cupboard where we put the cups upside down. So I bought cupboard liners. That didn't solve it. If we hand wash the dishes we don't get the left over smell on the dishes.

Now I don't know much about plumbing so I've had the maintenance guy look at it. He couldn't find anything wrong. We ran some dishwasher cleaner in it and thought that took care of the problem but it's back and dishwasher cleaner doesn't seem to have an effect on it anymore.

I've attached 2 pics of the drainage lines from the dishwasher if that helps. That is if I got them on here correctly.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Images

dewaltman Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jun 24, 2008, 03:29 PM
    That thing sure is hooked up wrong.if you look up any dishwasher instructions it will say that the drain hose needs to be run up to the top of the unit then ren through a hole at the highest possible spot under counter. When you're done you'll see you have a lot more hose so cut the excess.for a beginner it should only take an hour or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy smell in my water (well) [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought a home with a well. There is a "cullagan estate 2 automatic water conditioner" connected to it. I have no idea what kind of salt is in it but it is about 1/3 full. My well water smells like fish. It is VERY noticeable in the shower. I have read about sulphr and Iron smell. How do...

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Fishy smell in dishwasher [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought an older home. From the beginning, I've noticed a fishy smell coming from the kitchen sink. A week ago, I installed a new dishwasher. When I found a couple of minor leaks, I called in a plumber. We ran a rinse-only cycle to assess and fix the problem. However, when I later...

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

My female great dane seems to have a strong fishy odor every time she licks/cleans between her legs. Is something wrong or is there a remedy for this? She is almost 15 months old, and has just gone through her second heat cycle a few weeks ago. Thanks.

Fishy Smell [ 1 Answers ]

Occasionally our spare bedroom or the hall way smell fishy. The odor seems to come from under the house. The smell is awful but does not last more than an hour or so. HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! :confused:

View more questions Search