Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustachemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Gfci power source
    I had and existing gfci power outlet. I had some remodeling done, and now I want to put a new gfci power outlet in. Does this power come off directly from the breaker panel, or can I use an existing power source?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
    The GFCI outlet is just like a regular outlet except it trips when it detects current in the ground conductor. You would hook this up to whatever power source you have (assuming you are replacing a regular outlet). It is not a special circuit from the breaker panel.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
    There are two kinds, a GFCI that is a breaker inside your fuse box and the kind that is a wall outlet. If you have the wall outlet it will protect all subsequent outlets connected to it on that line, you don't need more than one GFCI outlet on one wire.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    There are two kinds, a GFCI that is a breaker inside your fuse box and the kind that is a wall outlet. If you have the wall outlet it will protect all subsequent outlets connected to it on that line, you don't need more than one GFCI outlet on one wire.
    Absolutely correct!
    I'd go for the outlet version since it is easier/safer to install.

WallyH
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    If you have the wall outlet it will protect all subsequent outlets connected to it on that line,.....
    This is only true IF it the circuit is wired that way. You can choose to use either the LINE or the LOAD terminals to continue the circuit from the GFI receptacle.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    This is only true IF it the circuit is wired that way. You can choose to use either the LINE or the LOAD terminals to continue the circuit from the GFI receptacle.
    Indeed! Using the LOAD terminals will provide GFI protection to the downstream outlets. Using the LINE terminals provides GFI protection only to the GFI outlet itself. Depending on what you need, you can have it either way.

WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

30amp GFCI to 50amp GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a square D panel box with 200 amp service coming into the house. I have a square D 30 amp double pole gfci breaker that was put in last year for a hot tub. I am now getting a new hot tub, and it requires a 50amp gfci breaker. The 30amp currently in place says type/tipo HOM. It is...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Power Source protector with alarm. Going off. Goodness. The noise is killer [ 1 Answers ]

OK. My internet died.. and I shut off the router and the power surge protector shut off too. Now the alarm is going off and I can't get it to stop

Power Source For New Sconces [ 4 Answers ]

I Have Two Sconces To Install. Where Can Draw Power From. They Must Be Wired To A Switch. Can I Draw Power From A Nearby Switch? If So Would I Just Run A Pigtail From The Existing Switch To The New One, Install Them Both In A Double Switch Box And Run A 14/2 Cable To Junction Box Splicing ...

View more questions Search