Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonmark222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 11:02 PM
    Is a "Government Tracer" job a scam or what?
    http://www.miprefunds.net/

Can you please tell me if this job is legitimate or if it is some sort of scam. Also is it true that this job is "easy" or are there some sort of pitafalls or things they are not revealing?
    Thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Hi, jon,
    If you have to pay anything up front for any job, then I would pass it by.
    Any job is supposed to pay you, not you pay them.
    There is a site;
    http://www.workplacelikehome.com
    That lists good online jobs, that are not scams.
    I don't know if the one you listed is or not. But, if it asks for money before you get the job, don't do it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Hmmm... why should have to pay for a *StartUp Information Package*? That usually raises a red flag for me. On the other hand they have good contact info on that site; maybe it's worth your time to call someone there first.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Watch out... this IS a scam without exception. I've heard of those before and I have done research in the past on these sites that offer you good money but you have to pay them first. Like others here said, if you have to pay to get a job then that's a sure sign of a scam.

Just do a Google search on "tracer program job" and "tracer program scam".

Also, a site that touts itself as legitimate and touts all others as fraud does not exactly inspire confidence for me. If you really want to know if the site is legitimate then call a government agency and not just some number on their site. That's the last number I'd call since I'm sure the number listed would never tell you that they are illegitimate.

Doing some basic Internet detective work I've determined the following:

800 number registered in Phoenix AZ
    202 number does not belong to address listed on their site

Now a quick Google maps search yields the address belonging to the 202 number as some sort of warehouse looking area in the DC area while the official address on their site yields what looks like government buildings and clearly looks like it is in a better area of town in the DC area. In addition, a 411 search of "MIP Refund" shows the 202 number that belongs to the warehouse looking area. Now ask yourself, if you were a legitimate business, wouldn't you want to list your number under the better location? Also, if you wanted to add any sort of credibility, wouldn't you also list your web site under the .gov domain?

This whole site smells of a scam.

Casey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2006, 10:02 AM
    All the other answers have made good points. Also take a look at how they want you to verify. You have to call them. Isn't that like asking the fox to guard the hen house? If they were real they would suggest contacting HUD or the FHA.

What you probably get for your money are instructions on how to get lists of people who are owed money. You then need to find them. If they were easy to find the government has much greater resources then you do.

Casey, is right the whole site smells of scam.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2006, 02:29 PM
    I would not advice this company, but there are 3rd party persons that do find people who are owed money. But most of that info is out there.
    There are lists available on the web in some states of money owed to people, ( I found 300 I had forgotten in an old bank account last year doing a search) And I found about 1000 that my uncles wife had coming last year doing a search of our family last name.

But what they do, they find money that is owed form federal or state taxes, from loan refunds, from forgotten bank accounts, electric and gas deposits forgotten about and so on.

You then contact that person, trying not to let them know where the money is, but only how much and try to get them to sign permission for you to get the money for them for a fee.

Ok, even if you find the person, can you image getting a letter saying to sign this power of attorney form to allow them to get this money without saying who the money is from.

You can find some people, but you really don't need a company to get you into business doing it, if it paid that well, they would merely have 8 dollar a hour people in their office doing it and not trying to sell you the plans to do it.
    jonmark222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Thanks everyone. I have posted comments on all of your messages. You have saved me a lot of time & trouble. I never realized how naïve I was/am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search