Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christopher618 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Going Crazy
    I'm only 22 and have work for the company I'm at for 3 years. They offer a 401k like most places and will match you dollar for dollar up to either 3% or 5%. But I don't understand how to I guess invest it to make the most money? I hear people talk about safe and risky but I don't get. UUUHHH... I need help
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 08:12 AM
    First, you should be contributing to your company 401(k) plan at least as much as will be matched by your employer - that's free money to you, and to not take advantage of it is a mistake.

Second, at your age you should be investing for the long term - after all your retirement isn't for another 40 years or so. During that time the stock market will go through several up cycles and down cycles. Don't make the mistake of thinking it best to wait things out until they get better, because you won't know when that is until it's already passed! So get in ASAP and take advantage of your employer's match. To keep things simple I suggest that if your company plan offers a fund that is geared specifically for someone your age you invest in that - these are sometimes called "life cycle funds." This one fund will give you a god diversity of both stocks and bonds, plus some international exposure, and as you get closer to retirement age will automatically rebalance to a more conservative mix. It's an excellent way to set your 401(k) plan up and leave the driving to others, so you won't have to worry whether you have the right mix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's going on? [ 32 Answers ]

All threads merged I had a girlfriend who just turned 16 who I was dating for eight months and is starting year 11 this year, I am 18 and just finished high school. About a month ago she broke up with me over the phone of all places and I was and still am devistated. Through our relationship I...

What should I do after going to the principle? [ 43 Answers ]

:confused: today its my worst day ever . First of all I got detention (not the only one , with 6 other people ) my school usually finished at 2:30 but I got detantion till 2:50 after I got out of the detention room I went to my locker and I found everything missed up my cell phone(pink , razer 3vc...

We going out on our first date now what? [ 5 Answers ]

So she said yes to going to the movies... I want to make a great impression. Now what?:rolleyes:

Help I'm going crazy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am really depressed as my mum does not let me out of the house at all I am always kept inside. I am losing my friends at my new school in england I have just started - a dance school. I live in the Channel islands. I knew this girl at my old school and she was a good friend to me and I told...

Help me please I'm going crazy [ 3 Answers ]

OK you well I still like my ex he broke up wit me, because he thought I lied to him but really I didn't.and I've told him the whole story and the misunderstanding that he had so we have talked and do still sometimes. But the prob is I still really love him and all my friends want me to bac out wit...

View more questions Search