Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jburke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Oil exploration
    In the debate over solutions for our current energy crunch those who are opposed to expansion of oil drilling in areas which are currently prohibited often state, as if it were fact, that it would take 10 to 15 years to increase domestic oil production.

The question is: if the moritorium on drilling off shore and in "protected areas" on shore was lifted tomorrow. How long would it take for that oil to hit the market?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Each area is different, to some it will could be 10 years in others as few as a few years may be possible.. But the issue here is that in many of these it was many years ago that they were stopped form exploring, so if they had done it then we would have that oil now. So if we do not do it now, we will still be needing it in 20 more years
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 04:48 AM
    It's very annoying, isn't it?.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 08:24 PM
    If you're talking about drilling in Colorado or Alaska or the Canadian Oil Sands, then the problem there isn't that it's illegal to drill, it's that it costs two to four times as much to get the same amount of oil out of the ground as it does in the gulf or elsewhere. This is because of the cold temperatures. Royal Dutch Shell is working on Colorado I know.

I know they drill in Siberia, but I don't know how they do it or what problems they face, but I know it's generally very difficult to drill oil in frozen places because you have to thaw the ground to pump the oil.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 15, 2008, 08:40 AM
    I've heard around five years, but I don't have any evidence one way or the other, though I'm sure if you Google it you'll find similar answers. (note I don't count it as evidence unless it comes from a reputable source)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teen boys and  sexual exploration [ 4 Answers ]

Can/Do teenage boys experiement or explore sexually with their male friends like boys of the preteen range. I know romantic feeling are dominate during the teens, but I wonder do teen boys still explore with their friend even with more romantic interests.

Oil exploration course [ 1 Answers ]

Hello this is Yogesh.I have finished my course in Mechanical engineering from Anna University with a score of 73%.I would like a to pursue a career in the oil sector .Could you suggest me a course offered anywhere that has a duration of one year and also importantly that has value.This course...

Is Space Exploration A sin? [ 27 Answers ]

I'd like to hear opinions on this. Thanks for the feedback.

View more questions Search