Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax_question Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 05:15 PM
    Social security tax and medical tax
    Hi

The following is my visa status

I came to us in aug 2002 under f1 visa and started my opt feb 2005 and I changed my visa to h1b (oct 2005). After going through the IRS website , I came to a conclusion that I am a non resident alien. So I decided to go with 1040NR-EZ. Now I have a question on social security and medical tax .

When I was in OPT my employer did not take SS and medical Tax as per my request. Once I started my H1B status they collected SS and Medical TAx.

My question is, since I am going to fill as a non resident alien for 2005 whether I am eligible to get or receive the SS and Medical TAX collected during my H1B status.IF so what is the procedure to do it. Which form should I fill to collect the SS and medical TAX withheld after my chage of status.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2006, 10:50 PM
    No, you became liable for SS and Medicare taxes the day your H-1B visa started. In your case, everything was done right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social security types [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know that what are the different types of social security and its use?

Social Security / Medical Withheld during OPT - Format of Employee Letter to IRS [ 1 Answers ]

I was on OPT till July 13, 2005 and switched to H1 from July 14 2005. I am a NR Alien for Tax puropose as I have been on H1B < 183 days. My employer withheld Social Security and Medicare Tax while I was on OPT as they did not have a separate system for not taking those taxes. I want to file...

F1 to H1 -> how to pay social security for H1 earnings. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was working on my OPT (F1) till September '04 and then switched to H1. My employer did not withhold social security and medicare from my salary for the 3 months from October through December of 2004. I had to inform them and they started to withhold the taxes from Jan of 2005. I would...

View more questions Search