Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jun 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
    High doses of fiber and water to lose weight fast?
    Was just curious, I am 5'5" and weigh 140 lbs. I feel really good about myself and I work full-time and eat a really good diet. But my dilemma is this about a year ago I gave birth to my third son and I had been pregnant for basically 2years (2 babies in a row) and I can't seem to get rid of the last 10 lbs that came with him! :o

So I have done some reading and I found out that most of the extra weight in the hip, lower belly, and under your armpit area is mostly excess water retention. And I have also read that a high fiber diet helps cleanse your intestines and get rid of the excess water. So my question is this.. if I take a double dose of fiber each morning and drink a lot of water throughout the day do you think it would get rid of the water build up and maybe cleanout my insides as an extra bonus? 10 lbs is all I want or feel I need to lose and it is just a personal thing, I am OK with the hips out further than usual and the boobs not as perky as they were at 17 and all that I just think if I could get rid of this little extra weight I would feel more energized. I am tired ALL the time and can hardly get motivated. I'm sure that is partly because I have 3 kids and work full time nights but still, a little extra energy never hurt anyone right?? :D

Any suggestions would help and would be greatly appreciated.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Hi Champio21,

First check with your doctor that you have fluid retention, he may perscibe tablets ( e.g... Bendroflumethiazide ) for the excess fluid, however the tablets I have named are also for high blood pressure so don't take them unecessarily, it can upset the salt balance in the body. You can also buy natural remedies over the counter.

Fibre in the diet is very good,but get it from the food sources, e.g... fruit veg... to much fibre can be harmful causing all kinds of problems with in the intestines and colon, not to mention extremely painful wind build up.

Trying to loose weight is difficult especially after child birth, but give it time. Quick fixes are OK but they won't last, the moment you eat nomally the weight will return, much better to loose weight gradually eating a healthy diet, the weight you loose will remain off.

I don't know how your meals are placed being that you work nights,it might be useful to eat certain things that you include in your diet ,at different times.

e.g don't eat your main meal before you go to bed, but before you go to work, that way you can use up the calories.

You've obviously come to a stand still in trying to loose those last few pounds, so write everything down that you eat during each day, look back and see if can make some more cuts in your intake... eg instead of maybe 2 weetabix in the morning just have one...

I hope I have been of some help

Goodluck

Jun 24, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Thank you very much, I talked to a pharmacy and they recommended diuretic pills instead of fiber. I have an iron problem so she said to take extra iron on top of the water pills. We discussed my diet and that is how she concluded it may be excess water. I eat small meals throughout the day and do not eat after work. I eat very healthy, fruit, veggies, meats, potatoes and my snacks are stuff like oranges and apples. So it's not my diet. I don't go in to work until 6 at night and do not get home until 4 am. I get up around 6 or 7 am with my kids. So my weight gain is prob from fatigue and stress.

I do not have a doctor right now, ( no insurance until July) but I will try these out and we will see what happens! Thank you again for your help!! :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Achamp... your body is not working properly because you are not getting enough sleep... 3 to 4 hours is not enough... You may find this article interesting.FOXNews.com - Lack of Sleep Linked to Weight Gain For New Moms, Study Says - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Jun 30, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Okay, so I tried the water pill thing for a week. Didn't lose any weight. Didn't really see or feel any change... that is until I went a day without taking the pills. I got the BIGGEST headache of my entire life. And it lasted for over a day, tylenol or excedrin couldn't nip it. SO I say...

STAY AWAY FROM WATER PILLS!! They are obviously addictive. Thank God I don't have an addictive personality and dealt with the headache. I didn't give in. I threw the remainder of the pills in the trash.

NEW PLAN~
    Get up an hour before the kids, workout, take vitamin, take shower.
    Get kids up dressed, play for a awhile then feed them till their bellies are plump and put them down for a nap. And Sweet victory, JOIN THEM!! Let's see if that helps my health and weight!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I lose weight fast? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently started gaining weight and I don't know why. I don't eat a lot of sugar, I don't drink any kind of soda, I don't eat all the time yet I am still gaining weight. I don't know if depression is a cause or a result of the weight gain, but that is definitely a problem too. Please help....

How can I lose weight fast without changing my entire eating habbits? [ 9 Answers ]

I really want to lose weight... I weigh like 177 and I'm like 5''6'... I have tried to lose weight I just do not have the will power... I want to be thiner... I need to lose like 50 pounds but I am impatient.I know losing weight too fast can harm you so I want to know how to do it without taking...

Lose weight fast [ 3 Answers ]

:eek: OK I'm in dispirit help I need to lose about 10-30 pounds in about 1-4 weeks I'm 5''7' 170 pounds I need some advise to lose it fast and quick... asap

Lose weight fast [ 1 Answers ]

You know, why is it in the gym... everyone that goes looks as if they shouldn't be there, all these lean and buff people. Well... it doesn't matter because at the end of the day whatever you look like, even attending classe, or your local gym shows that you take pride in your body, take pride in...

How to get lose weight fast [ 3 Answers ]

As I'm very fat . Suggest me some good and effective ways to lose weight...

View more questions Search