Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    LOL.. yes maybe i will spend 60% of my free time arguing about the existance of the boogey man
    Maybe you would if there were people who claimed to know what the boogey man wanted and were hell bent on carrying out what they see as his will, even if his will includes torture and murder in his name.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Jul 8, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    Maybe you would if there were people who claimed to know what the boogey man wanted and were hell bent on carrying out what they see as his will, even if his will includes torture and murder in his name.
    I wouldn't even waist my time with such lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    I actually thought that as a creationist you were already doing precisely that !!!!

·
    Apparently you have dedicated your life's time to arguing about something you find as ridiculous as the boogyman. I wonder why? Lol I find it amusing. :p
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Apparently you have dedicated your life's time to arguing about something you find as rediculous as the boogyman. I wonder why? lol i find it amusing. :p
    Amusing AND sad that they can't seem to get that!!

Like I said I am contemplating dedicating my free time to check out the spaghetti monster and the boogey men that I do not believe exist.

Jul 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
    I wouldnt even waist my time with such lunacy.
    Ignoring the events of 9/11 over 3000 people killed in the name of the boogey man. How about this article.
    Newsvine - Murdered for being an Atheist
    Or how about this quote from George Bush
    "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God. "

I agree though it is lunacy to believe in supernatural beings. I just wish I could afford the luxury of ignoring those who do. However my rights and safety are on the line everyday.

Jul 8, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Ignoring the events of 9/11 over 3000 people killed in the name of the boogey man. How about this article.
    Newsvine - Murdered for being an Atheist
    or how about this quote from George Bush
    "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God. "

I agree though it is lunacy to believe in supernatural beings. I just wish I could afford the luxury of ignoring those who do. However my rights and safety are on the line everyday.
    So you think you are doing some sort of service to society by harassing religious people on religious forums day in and day out?. lol how's that working for you? Are making any progress? :rolleyes:

More people in history have been killed by athiests that any religion's killings put together. For example Joseph Stalin's atheistic regime killed tens of millions of people. So if anyone should be affriad it is us theists considering the mass murders done by many athiestic regimes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    it is a common misconception that "religion is the cause of all wars"
    god does not cause wars (well, except in the old testament kinda)
    it is peoples misinterpretations and manipulations that cause trouble, they are just often using god as an excuse to justify murder and discrimination
    A lot of this thread is just the usual pro/con propaganda thrownb out on either side. But I had to comment on this post from early in the thread.

I very much agree with what cal is saying. But I think cal is missing the point. I have said before that more people have been killed and abused in the name of religion than for any other reason. Almost every religion has had its holy wars to be ashamed of. But I do believe that the RCC, especially citing the Inquisition and the Crusades have accounted for the worst if it.

But most religions do try to portray their main deity as beneficent and promoting peace, yet they belie that portrayal in the justification of forcing themselves on others.

Jul 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Frankly, we all have to start somewhere. An internet revolution is as good a place to start as any. I also have lengthy discussions with the people who knock on my door to spread their religion as well and I work for an agency that came into existence because of religious extremism and whose purpose is to prevent it from occurring again. So yes I do feel I'm doing some sort of service the society as a whole but pointing out how wrong you are at every turn.

Joseph Stalin was a product of a christian upbringing and he even almost became a priest himself. He also built up churches after Hitler invaded because he thought the churches would help. Even if he was an atheist though he didn't kill in the name of atheistism or for atheistism. Not a single person who was killed in his regime was killed because they wouldn't give up their religion. There is a difference from being an 'ism and killing for your 'ism. It's like if Stalin liked the color pink, he didn't kill because he liked the color pink and just because other people like the color pink doesn't mean they are going to kill millions of people too. Correlation does not always equal causation.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I agree 100% with what Cal is saying (100 million greenies!)
    I have said it again and again people call themselves Christian when their heart is far from God just like the Bible says.
    People like that give real Christians a bad name!

Jul 8, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I believe there is a difference between 'religion' and Christianity.

Jul 8, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Frankly, we all have to start somewhere. An internet revolution is as good a place to start as any. I also have lengthy discussions with the people who knock on my door to spread their religion as well and I work for an agency that came into existence because of religious extremism and whose purpose is to prevent it from occurring again. So yes I do feel I'm doing some sort of service the society as a whole but pointing out how wrong you are at every turn.

Joseph Stalin was a product of a christian upbringing and he even almost became a priest himself. He also built up churches after Hitler invaded because he thought the churches would help. Even if he was an atheist though he didn't kill in the name of atheistism or for atheistism. Not a single person who was killed in his regime was killed because they wouldn't give up their religion. There is a difference from being an 'ism and killing for your 'ism. It's like if Stalin liked the color pink, he didn't kill because he liked the color pink and just because other people like the color pink doesn't mean they are going to kill millions of people too. Correlation does not always equal causation.

Of course there is a correlation, Starlin was an athiests when he started murdering people. Probably because he didn't believe in God anymore so felt no need to obey his comandments "thou shall not commit murder"
    Hiltler was an athiests who also was raised Christian and decided to become an athiests and mudered Jews for their religious beliefs and their ethnic heritage. :rolleyes:

The Christian-haters like Michaelb should turn their attentions to militant Islam and Atheism as the most serious dangers to the world.

The fact is that while religious wars have been fought for centuries, militant atheism has slaughtered more people than religious zealots ever have. The greatest mass murders in history have been committed not by Christians but by Communists Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung. More than 100 million have died at the hands of these militant atheists since the early 20th century.

The Inquisitions and the Salem witch trials (less than 25 died) are minuscule compared with the death tolls produced by the atheist despotisms of the 20th century. In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match. Collectively these atheist tyrants murdered more than 100 million people.

Many of these conflicts that are counted as "religious wars" were not fought over religion. They were mainly fought over rival claims to territory and power. Can the wars between England and France be called religious wars because the English were Protestants and the French were Catholics? NO The same is true today. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not, at its core, a religious one. It arises out of a dispute over self-determination and land.

So the bottom line is waaaaaaaaay more people have died at the hand of athiests than they have from Christians. So don't even go there
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
    This thread has veried way off the OP so it is now closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it really wrong? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been dating this girl for almost a year. We met last year when she was a Sophomore in high school and I was a Senior in high school. The age difference between us is about 1 year,and 2 months(I'm 18, she just turned 17 yesterday :) ). Nothing much has changed since I've started college, and...

How can something so right be so wrong [ 1 Answers ]

I need help. Someone asked me who sings a particular song and all they know is part of the lyric. Its in the tip of my tongue but I can't put my finger on it! The lyric goes something like this... "how can something so right be so wrong". I am not even sure the lyric is exactly how it should...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

What is wrong with my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday my Rottie/German Shepard Dog (2 yrs old) started placing her tail tight against her bottom and never lifting it at all. If you try touching her tail she attacks your hand. She also has problems sitting down. She is contently licking the bottom part of her tail. It takes her several...

View more questions Search