Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiethepooch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Laying ceramic tile over exsisting concrete floor
    I have an exsisting bathroom floor drain in a shower area, it has the slope and ready to go for tile only. Is there any type of waterproof membrane available without using a mudset underlay. I don't want to have to build up the exsisting drain, I'm not sure that the exsisting is treaded to add to it. So is there a waterproof membrane that I can lay tile directly over?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Let me be sure I understand what you are doing. The floor drain you mention, is it a floor drain like in any basement or is it a shower drain. Is there a curb built up around the shower perimeter or is this a walk in shower room ?
    terry35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 12:09 PM
    How do I instal ceramic on a concrete floor
    terry35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
    How do I lay ceramic tile on a concrete slab in the basement of my house
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Terry, you should really start your own post by clicking on ASK. Use thinset with a trowel notch large enough for your tile size. The bag will tell you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tile over concrete [ 5 Answers ]

I am fixing to lay ceramic tile over my basement floor. Do I need to do anything special to the concrete to rough it up a little so the thin set will bond good?

How to remove ceramic tile removed from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

There is a 3'x4' area of ceramic tile at the base of my stairwell between living and dining areas. Laminate flooring will be laid. Is it necessary to remove the small area of tile? Or, can laminate flooring be laid over it? If it needs to be removed what is the simplest way? :(

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Ceramic tile - proper laying technique [ 2 Answers ]

I have 13x13 ceramic tiles to install in my kitchen over plywood subfloor. What is the most appropriate way to install? I've been told to use various techniques: cement mortar, thinset adhesive, cement backer board, tiles can be laid right over vinyl flooring!! ), etc. We are very handy and did...

Tiling over an exsisting concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and Happy New Year, Here is our problem. We remodeled a bathroom and tiled the shower walls and floor. The exsisting shower base was painted concrete. We sanded the concrete, then tiled,using a grout with latex. A couple weeks after, we noticed tile and grout coming up. When we...

View more questions Search