Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 06:42 PM
    No children
    My daughter is getting married in May. We wish to have no children under 5 at the wedding, although we don't care about the reception. How can we convey that appropriately?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Are you having the reception right after the wedding?

Why not create a baby sitting zone and have someone watch the kids under 5 during the wedding?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Yes I will agree a sitting area, but be advised some parents may want their child to see the wedding,
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
    I'd say it's your choice... Simply include it in the invitation information.

You might find a few people won't come because of it, but it is your wedding and your choice.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2006, 08:56 PM
    The babysitting area is a great idea if you are willing to provide that, especially for people who are coming to your wedding from out of town. However, as others have said it IS your wedding, so simply including the information that you don't want children under 5 is good enough. People should be gracious enough to understand that... I know I do and I am a mother of small children.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
    It is not uncommon to have an "Adult Reception" but to try to not have kids at the wedding will be difficult - and probably met with some less than friendly feelings.

It's easy to say "Adult Reception", but there's no tactful way to say "No one under 5 is invited".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 05:39 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the "feelings" of others who cannot bring their children under 5 to a wedding. There will possibly be some who will not attend.
    It's your choice, of course. The answer about having a baby-sitting area does sound very good. That might be less objectionable to those with children.
    Why not call someone who has a child under 5 and ask them what they think? Before the wedding? If they object, ask about a baby-sitting area. This is to be one of the happiest days of your lives, and that means you wish to share it with others. Find out beforehand how some of them feel. Congratulations, and I do wish you the best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2006, 07:24 AM
    I guess also, it depends on where you are having the wedding and the such, I know in our church, weddings are normally open and public basically, the entire congegration would be invited, so in my church you would basically be out of luck.

But then the ladies group does the food for the reception which is done at little cost.

Weddings in my opinion are family events, children do not take away from it and I have never had a problem with them there. Even in big formal weddings. I really don't perosnally understand this trend of late to be child unfriendly in special events in peoples lives.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Your choice. Some may not like it. OK.

If you said that it is requested that children under 5 years old refrain from attending the ceremony, but are welcome to celebrate at the reception I'd be fine with it. Id come to the reception with my child.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I guess also, it depends on where you are having the wedding and the such, I know in our church, weddings are normally open and public basicly, the entire congegration would be invited, so in my church you would basicly be out of luck.
    Yes that's just like Jewish weddings held in a synagogue or on synagogue property. They are open to all the members of the Jewish community, and invitations are sent out only for the reception.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Mar 19, 2006, 12:25 AM
    How about this for tact...

Due to the lengthy nature of the wedding service and the attention span of most children under 5yrs of age. We would appreciate if those children would help our caregivers make a special gift for the newlyweds to be presented at the reception where everyone will enjoy music, food and song in celibration. Please feel free to come join our reception if you feel that our childcare option is not one you feel comfortable with.

Be wary though. Some people might use this as an excuse not to attend either, and some will just come for the free food.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2006, 01:36 PM
    It might be difficult for guests to refrain from brining children to the wedding but then going back and getting them for the reception. You could have engraved at the bottom of the invitations "Sorry, no children please." I've seen that done before. Now on a more personal note, I have to disagree with your stand on excluding children under 5. If in fact you are inviting guests who have young children you should be just as prepared to accept the children as you are the adults. Young children are part of families too. A wedding is after all the beginning of a new family which will probably some day include young children along with the husband and wife. Besides, these days baby sitters want upwards of $5 an hour or more and that may just be too much for a lot of families especially if they're spending upwards of $50 or more on a gift for the bride and groom. Now if anyone chooses to leave their children at home of their own accord that's different. But to tell guests not to bring their children is, I think, in rather poor taste. Sorry, I don't mean to rip you apart but as a father of young children myself it kind of struck a nerve with me. Also as a child growing up my extended family was always the same way about never wanting children around. As a result I hardly even know most of my aunts, uncles and cousins since my sister and I were never welcome at family weddings, etc. because we weren't grownups. Since my father was the youngest of his family, naturally my sister and I were also the youngest of our generation. Consequently, as our cousins were growing up and getting married, my mother and father went to many a wedding that my sister and I weren't welcome to attend. So, as I said, I hardly got to know any of my extended family. Now they're aging and dying off and I never knew them.
    lastinnline01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 07:29 AM
    It is your wedding day and people should respect your wishes! Although some may take offense they need to take into consideration that younger children have a hard time sitting still and or being quiet, and that its not personal. I myself having 3 children would not take offense to it, as I have attended weddings where instead of being able to enjoy the ceremony have had to catch bits and pieces of it due to someone's child screaming and crying. But I do agree with making some kind of accommodations for the children, so that those who may not live around here and want to attend don't have the extra burden of trying to find a trust worthy sitter! Either way I hope your wedding day is all that you expect it to be!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

Will we have more children? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was diagnosed in 2004 with cancer. He went through about 8 months of treatment (chemo and radiation). I've read a lot about the type of chemo he was given and have found that one of the side effects is often infertility. We didn't have anytime to plan out what we were going to...

View more questions Search