Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcheffo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Buss bar
    When adding a neutral/grounding buss bar to the main panel how do you connect to the existing bar. I was told at home depot to just butt them edge to edge.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Is it a neutral bar or an equipment ground bar? Probably a eq gnd bar for the bare or green wires. This bolts directly to the metal backbox of the panel, anywhere works but must used machine thread screws to support it.

A neutral bar is for neutral white wires only, and is insulated from all other grounded metal and wires.

Mar 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Tk
    I am referring to the two busses along side the breakers that is connected to the stranded wire from the main. It has a factory installed jumper from one side to the other. In my panel. Both bare wire and white wire is tied in. I need to add to this. The box is seimans and has plastic clips that hold the bar in place. When adding how do you connect the new buss to the existing one. I was told today to make a jumper with a white wire from bar to bar. I do believe that they are called an equiptment buss but not sure.
    I went Lowe's and home depot and could not fing seimens so I bought GE brand. They of course say its okay thanks--Don
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Sounds as if you need more space for the neutral. If the main breaker is located in this panel, then all the whites and grounds can go together. Bolt the added bar to the panel, and connect with a white wire as large as the port on the bar can fit, probably a#4 wire.

Mar 19, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Tk
    Can I use an equiptment ground bar for this. I could not find anything called a neutral bar.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Yes only if you are adding a neutal bar, and it is located in the main panel that contains the Main Service Disconnect switch.

Mar 21, 2006, 04:59 AM
    I want to make sure I have this right. I am going to add an equipment ground below the existing bar and connect with a white #4 wire. All of this in the main panel. I can place white and bare ground wire just like the existing bars. Thank you very much tk. Lowe's only has #4 bare wire I assume this is against code
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
    OK let's make this easy for you. Bolt the equipment ground bar you have or will be getting into the panel with threaded machine screws. If there are no threaded holes that line up, you will need to drill and tap the holes to match the bar.

Again, providing the main breaker is in this panel, ( I have mentioned this a couple times and still no confirmation that this is the case), be sure there is a jumper or a screw connecting there insulated neutral bar to the panel back box.

Once the new bar is installed, use the new bar for all the bare or green wires both new and existing, leaving the original neutral bar for all the white neutral wires.

This way you will not need a large jumper wire to the new bar.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
    I hope you are not trying to make a sub panel out of this. If you are you have to separate your neutrals and grounds and remover the factory jumper.

Mar 23, 2006, 05:40 AM
    I am working in the main panel with the main 200 amp breaker. I just need to make more space for my additional white and bare wires. Tk I can do it both ways which is more favorable.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Do it this way:

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    OK let's make this easy for you. Bolt the equipment ground bar you have or will be getting into the panel with threaded machine screws. If there are no threaded holes that line up, you will need to drill and tap the holes to match the bar.

Again, providing the main breaker is in this panel, ( I have mentioned this a couple times and still no confirmation that this is the case), be sure there is a jumper or a screw connecting ther insulated neutral bar to the panel back box.

Once the new bar is installed, use the new bar for all the bare or green wires both new and existing, leaving the original neutral bar for all the white neutral wires.

This way you will not need a large jumper wire to the new bar.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
    A word of caution... not sure if it applies, but if you should want to MOVE some of the neutrals or grounds already in place be sure to de-energize the circuits... or better yet the panel. And de-energize the panel before you begin any buss installation.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 09:34 AM

Missouri, You bored?

This thread dates back to March, 2006.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    I guess so... didn't notice. The new format threw me a bit. Thanks for the "polite" comment.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 02:05 PM
    No problem, that was not polite, just smartass.

Just thought you were going back through old posts.

Are you trying to use the FF or Go style?

I hate it and will not use it.How is it for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for help with my internet buss [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying build me a web internet store like bussines www.soldiersandgaer.com Going need rebuild my site need advice on building Also any know places to find whole sale product or drop shippers I'm Tommy

View more questions Search