Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naplk56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Garnishment in Georgia
    Can a credit card debt collector attach or freeze a joint checking account for a debt owed by only the husband? Can they attach or freeze a checking account in only the wife's name?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 11:33 AM
    They can go after a joint account
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by naplk56
    Can a credit card debt collector attach or freeze a joint checking account for a debt owed by only the husband? Can they attach or freeze a checking account in only the wife's name?

They can seize anything with the husband's name on it - individual or joint. Once his money is mingled with yours the entire account is legally 100% yours and 100% his and open to seizure for debts owed by either one of you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Once the joint account is frozen, you can go to court and prove which of the funds are yours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Once the joint account is frozen, you can go to court and prove which of the funds are yours.

Georgia will divide it up, it doesn't automatically become co-mingled funds - ?

I didn't know - gave bad advice. Sorry.

Other posts on the same subject (and Georgia) should probably be corrected - let me see if I can find them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

What is the formula for the amount that is withheld each week for a Georgia garnishment?

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that there is a garnishment on my bank account in Georgia resulting in a zero balance :( Do you think they can take my car This debt is not related to my car which is paid for. Also do you think there is anyway I can get this garnishment off my account? I am trying to pay this...

Garnishment in Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

Hello brilliant minds! I have a question about a judgement handed down against me in Fulton county Georgia.Calvary portfolio svcs.llc won a judgement for$4182.00(which turned into $9982.00 by the time of garnishment.I have heard of court costs but over double? Sheesh!)Anyway I was wondering if...

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

My question is in regards to wage garnishments in the state of Georgia. What types of debit can I be garnished for in Georgia? Will filing bankruptcy keep me from having my wages garnished? Thanks

Garnishment in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

A previous landlord filed a Garnishment, faxed the Garnishment paperwork to my husband's place of employment on a day that he wasn't working, and we had already paid the debt in full one day previous to finding out that he had filed the paperwork. What legal grounds do we have for the sending of...

View more questions Search