Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Del2210 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Fence pole depths
    What is the minimum depth for fence post holes in Illinois?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Your frost line is about 42 " but it really depends on what kind of fence you will install and will it be supported with concrete. For most residential privacy fences in Illinois I'd go with 36" but tell us about your fence.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Metal posts, wood posts, are they going to be set in concrete. What type of fence is it for.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Yes the corner posts should be a little deeper or the posts you want to swing a gate from. Going below frostline insures the posts won't tilt or heave out.
    Del2210 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Your frost line is about 42 " but it really depends on what kind of fence you will install and will it be supported with concrete. For most residential privacy fences in Illinois I'd go with 36" but tell us about your fence.
    It's a vinyl fence and it's 6 feet. Post are 5x5 rather than traditional 4x4. The post will be set in concrete. All corner posts and gate posts will have a secured 4x4 wood post inside the 5x5 vinly post.

Jun 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
    I would go to a 48" deep hole with this installation. You hole should also be at least 12" in diameter. Illinois frost line was shallow this year due to the heavy snow but if frost gets beneath a concrete post it will raise/tilt the entire block of concrete.
    ablanch Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Del2210
    What is the minimum depth for fence post holes in Illinois?
    1/4 of post height should be in ground. Hole should be not much larger than the post size. Pack-in around post solidly. Frost should lift all posts evenly, and they should settle down in the spring.

Jun 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Not sure where you heard 1/4 the post height but that is not correct. Think about it, a 4' tall fence would only be 1' in the ground. This is wrong, as is your assumption that frost will raise things evenly and then settle evenly in the spring. I don't know how much frost your folks get in NC but Illinois frost can lift a house or garage.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
    6" below frost line is really the best, ballenger is giving you good advice (as usual), I'd go with what he says. The manufacturer of your fence posts should have some instructions as well.
    ablanch Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Not sure where you heard 1/4 the post height but that is not correct. Think about it, a 4' tall fence would only be 1' in the ground. This is wrong, as is your assumption that frost will raise things evenly and then settle evenly in the spring. I don't know how much frost your folks get in NC but Illinois frost can lift a house or garage.
    Yes, the frost line is greater in Illinois, but whatever rises will fall to its rested state after the thaw. If you want to go three feet into the ground or just past the frost line it will indeed snap off when a car hits it, rather than lay down to be put up again, without having to purchase a new post. Al things considered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

From double pole to single pole thermostat -2 extra leads [ 3 Answers ]

The double pole thermostat for the baseboard heater has a red and a black wire coming in (from the circuit panel) and a red and a black going to the heater. The new single pole only has a red LINE lead and a black LOAD lead. If I attach red to red and then black to black, I have black (from...

Erecting a metal pole fence in concrete [ 2 Answers ]

I have a swimming pool in my backyard and my nephews are in town and staying by me. I live in Florida and would like to erect a fence around it. I have got a quote that was $1000. I am very handy and need some tips on how to place metal poles sticking above ground about 5 feet. Connected to the...

Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

A more specific question here: My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each? Thanks.

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

View more questions Search