Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarnivale Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2008, 05:43 PM
    John Deere L120 motor surging after warm up
    John Deere L120 with ~ 150 hours on it. Briggs 20 HP V Twin engine. Regular service at the proper intervals - oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs, air filter / pre-cleaner all about 10 hours ago. This just started happening - runs great then after cutting for less than 30 minutes the motor begins to surge as if the choke is engaged. I can get it to run smoothly for less than a minute by giving it full choke, then it dies. If I let it cool it will run OK for less than 15 minutes, then begins to surge again. So far I have tried gumout carb cleaner in the tank and have run about 1/8 of that tank through. I've also tried spraying carb cleaner in the air intake. Any thoughts?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Clean the carb and complete fuel system. From the fuel tank cap all the way to the carb.

Jun 24, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    clean the carb and complete fuel system. from the fuel tank cap all the way to the carb.
    I'll give it a shot.

I've also noticed pressure build up in the gas tank after running the engine, which is new. Maybe there is some kind of vapor lock going on or the gas cap simply needs to be replaced?

Jul 3, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarnivale
    I'll give it a shot.

I've also noticed pressure build up in the gas tank after running the engine, which is new. Maybe there is some kind of vapor lock going on or the gas cap simply needs to be replaced?

The surging started to happen again the other day, but it only lasted a little while, then a puff of black smoke, then it ran fine. My guess is whatever was in the carb must have dislodged. Previous to that cutting I cleaned the gas cap because of the pressure build up by using a tooth pick on the vent holes, but I bet it was all the carb cleaner I dumped into the tank and sprayed into the carb and onto the linkage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L120 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a three year old John Deere L120 lawn tractor that has about 195 hours on it. I cut about 1.5-2 acres once a week, maybe a little more often in the fall to pick up leaves. Recently, the blade clutch experienced an electrical failure for which my local dealer quoted a $500-600 repair. While...

John Deere L120 Transaxle [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way to add hydraulic fluid to a John Deere L120 riding mower? Background: it's about 5 years old. This year it is having difficulty going up hills. I thought it might be the belt, so with the unit upright, I replaced the belt. Now, it won't go at all. I believe (is this possible?)...

John Deere L120 mobility/transmission [ 3 Answers ]

To:Esquire 1 and others, I have a JD L120 mower 4yrs. Old w/ 82 hrs. use. It now will only move forward or rev. 8 to 10 ft. very,very slowly.It's as if it's in a bind or trans. Isn't working properly.I have maintained it very well. Any suggestions? ----Buckminster

John Deere L120 disassembly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a L120 with 119 hrs. on it that has thrown its drive belt. What is the easiest way to disassemble the tractor to get to the belt? I have replaced the deck belt X 2, spring tensioners, spindles but this looks a bit more tedious. David

Replace John Deere L120 Engine? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having serious smoke problems coming out of the exhaust on my JD L120 riding mower. Constant white smoke that gets worse under load with much knocking and pinging, black smoke at severe loads. I'm considering working on the engine myself as a learning project as I have all the manuals which...

View more questions Search